1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nikon Manual Viewer App

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by IvorETower, Oct 19, 2020.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

.... has apparently been killed off by Nikon. If you have it installed on your mobile device it still works and will enable you to view any manual that you have previously downloaded, but the app is no longer available for downloading, nor can you add additional manuals if you already have it installed.

This has also been reported "on the other side of the pond", so looks like a worldwide decision by Nikon.
    Buyers of new Nikon cameras beware; you now have to seek out and download the pdf version of a manual from an appropriate Nikon website

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you go into Manual Viewer and try to download a new manual you get the following:

Service for "Manual Viewer 2" has ended effective August 21, 2020. Product manuals are still available via the Nikon Download Center.

Clearly for the US market because they can't spell!

A real shame because it is an excellent application and far better than using a PDF, I just hope the next update to iPadOS doesn't remove it.

3. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I wasn’t aware of the Manual Viewer, and loaded PDF’s of the relevant manuals onto my smartphone when I bought one. Seems as though I missed out!

Chris

4. IvorETower

I'm beginning to wonder if withdrawing support is connected with the impending death of Nikon DSLR models. Maybe they have decided not to include the Z-series in the Viewer app, and maybe they have decided that as they do not appear to be interested in launching replacements for most (or possibly all) of their DSLR's, they might as well kill the app off. Who knows?

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Except that the Z6 and Z7 manuals were available on Manual Viewer

6. IvorETower

Oh well, bang goes my theory then !

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I suspect the truth is much simpler than it appears, the cost isn't justified by the benefits, to Nikon.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I suspect that it was not of benefit.
    Who refers to a manual when you are out and about?
    If you are at base then use a pdf on your computer.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have!
    When I bought my wife her first D300 there were things we didn't know so we looked them up.

10. Phiggys

Phiggys Member

Sad loss of a excellent app I can’t unstandardised there thinking why kill it off and not just leave it for access for new nikon users of used gear that don’t always come with a manual ?

11. Learning

The pdf manuals are still available. The more detailed references are also available. Just download them and view with either Adobe reader or your browser. The manual viewer app was redundant from the day development work was even proposed. Sure; it worked very well. But it was not needed.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have to ask, have you ever used the app?
    Unlike a PDF the app looks and feels like a paper manual with the whole page on the screen at a readable size (iPad Mini). The PDF version is fine on a bigger screen but not on a mobile device, in my opinion. However, it is difficult to justify the cost of the app if the PDF files are already available.

Phiggys likes this.
  13. Learning

I tried it rather than used it. My phone screen is about 150mm diagonal and I don't have a tablet. I don't claim to know everything in the D500 manual and reference, but know enough to vary my customisations to suit me.
    I have used the pdfs while customising and now and again since. They are stored on my desktop and laptop computers.