1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most popular camera brand in the world .....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Done_rundleCams, May 19, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I did the survey and the question didn't mention digital.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Can’t trust reporting these days.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The headline is digital (red box) but the question isn't (red underlined).

survey.png

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I see. The characters appear otherwise the same between ] and [. Thanks. I'll go and lie down now.

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is obviously a matter of personal preference but I found the ME Super too fiddly, especially the buttons to change shutter speed. I notice that almost every major brand uses a control wheel for shutter speed and aperture now. Anyway, I preferred toe OM1, OM2 and OM4 when they were current and later the Nikon FM2n (though that had its foibles too0.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Many I knew at the time owned ME Supers, now I too found them fiddly, the MX was my preference. Worse than the buttons for altering the shutter speed on the ME Super was that there was no display externally, rectified on the later Super A.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

You could say Rolls Royce, Jaguar or Land Rover are the most popular motor vehicles, but they certainly aren’t the most prolific.

As with many things in life, what we have is not necessarily what we like. I quite like Kylie Minogue, but I’m extremely unlikely to wake up next to her :):)

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Probably a good thing.

Long, long ago I got a summer holiday job working for a film production company (unnamed to protect the guilty). None of the actors or actresses looked anything like their publicity shots, when they staggered in for a 7 a.m. call.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I’d risk it :)

Done_rundleCams and spinno like this.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Apart from me, who else could say they look their best at silly o'clock...

11. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Me too. I look rough when I arise, and that’s the status quo for the rest of the day.

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No, the readership of Netorabo. Fact that it is 8000 respondents is redundant by at least 800%. That will not have added appreciably to its accuracy, or factored for the inbuilt skew of it being a self-elected sample from a very restricted universe. It describes nothing other than the preference of those followers of Netorabo who wished to express a preference.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Err, the Japanese market comment was based on my experience of the Japanese market. Loads of love for Pentax, and, demographically, a LOT of older salarymen who buy top end stuff like Sony, Nikon and Canon to use but still get warm and fuzzy for Pentax.

Having said that, your point is correct in that any survey is only reflective of its respondents and it would be wrong to assume the numbers hold outwith the survey respondents.

RovingMike and Done_rundleCams like this.
  14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I think I would have great doubts about any that did!

15. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Personally I don’t care about the survey. I fancy a Ricoh GR but doubt I will ever own one. I have no sense of brand I just like the camera. Don

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Always wanted the 21mm film version or the digital with the adapter to mimic that.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I used a GR1 for a while (and for some reason still have the tiny lenshood in its leatherette bag), I traded it in for a 24mm Nikkor, while we were visiting Canterbury and I found that the 24mm was much more useful.

Done_rundleCams and ascu75 like this.
  18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I’ve got the Ricoh GRii. Might not be the camera I use the most, but (apart from my phone) it’s the camera I have with me the most.

ascu75 likes this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree. Pentax is still a lovely brand for me, although they lost the plot on products 30 years ago.

Done_rundleCams and ascu75 like this.
  20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Whenever I think of Pentax Spotmatic cameras, the main things I associate with it are how narrow its body seems and even more so, the very distinctive shape of its wind-on lever.

It also occurs to me that back then, when advertising was far less pervasive, maybe, just maybe, people thought 'Well, if someone is going to put that much effort into the design of something as basic as this, Pentax are going to be even fussier about what you can't see.'?

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Done_rundleCams, ascu75 and MJB like this.