1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most popular camera brand in the world .....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Done_rundleCams, May 19, 2021.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting! Of course one is prompted to as why, if the brand is so beloved by the Japanese, it’s sales don’t appear to reflect that?

Done_rundleCams and neilt3 like this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Everyone is so happy with what they already have that they don't feel the need to replace it every 18 months?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That surveys been rigged .
    There's not even an option if me voting for Minolta or Kiev !
    The results mean nothing . :mad:

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's just the best known among the people who answered?

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Of course, they are probably still using film too.
    That is entirely possible.

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's as maybe, but the survey asks the question: “What is your favorite digital camera maker?”

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you use and are happy with a Pentax film camera, even if you don't use a digital camera, you are likely to vote Pentax. This is particularly true where you can carry the lenses over from film to digital.

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  9. PeteRob

That must make the sample size really small :) and say something about the age distribution.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And a lot about the Japanese market.

11. Andrew Flannigan

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have noticed the strong brand loyalty of those who use current Pentax products. Now I would add that many of us here will have owned at some earlier stage a Pentax M42 screw thread or K-mount camera and still hold a degree of at least nostalgia for the brand.

ascu75, Done_rundleCams and AndyTake2 like this.
  13. PeteRob

I’ve deleted it but I had a great statistics example. HMRC, instead of sending me a standard reminder on April 6th, “your income tax return is due”, as is their wont, have tried a different tack. They sent me ever such a nice letter last week (not too pushy, a month on from the tax year end) suggesting I try to benefit from the good feeling that results from submitting my return early. The letter included the fascinating statistic that the number of completed returns filed on April 6th for the previous tax year has tripled in the last five years! Methinks that’s 3 people getting it done early!

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The only Pentax I owned was an ME Super, frankly it wasn't a patch on the OM2 or FM2n and I certainly harbour no nostalgia for it.

15. Andrew Flannigan

The mid 1960s range of S1a, Sv and Spotmatic are my favourite Pentax cameras. The "Just Hold a Pentax" advertising campaign had the unusual attribute of being accurate, at least so far as I was concerned.

dangie and Done_rundleCams like this.
  16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

When I followed the link , one part just asked about the camera maker , it was in another box that stated "digital" .
    Either way , all my favourite camera makers are long gone !
    With the auto translate , one option is not translated . maybe that option is " someone else " ?

I have a few Pentax cameras , but the only one that gets much use is the Pentax ME Super . Usually with the 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens on .
    It makes a nice pocketable combination .
    The only Pentax DSLR I still have is the IST*D after giving the K10d to my niece to get her started in photography .

17. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've got a nice range of Pentaxes, S1a, SV, Spotmatic, Spotmatic II, Spotmatic F, K1000, KM, and ME. Almost all have had film through them, and I used the ME extensively in the early 2000s. There's also all those other M42 cameras - Prakticas, Zenits, Yashicas, a Fujica, and a Mamiya/Sekor...

18. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

I started with Asahi Pentax SP-1000 with SMC-Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens and Asahi Pentax Eveready Leather Case, back in Nov. 18, 1988.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

In the actual question there is no mention of digital.

Done_rundleCams and Simon Leung like this.
  20. PeteRob

You have to read down a bit - though I admit I didn’t read further

Japanese media company ITmedia is currently conducting a survey(spotted by Pentax Rumors) through its culture publication Netorabothat asks the question: “What is your favorite digital camera maker?”