1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most inefficient light bulb in your house?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Dec 1, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So watt do you want us to talk about. Illuminate us with your bright ideas.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I refused to use CF lamps, the light quality is horrible and they don't actually last all that long as soon as LEDs became readily available I switched to using those.

3. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I don’t like the light quality either. It’s the time they take to warm up as such, and they aren’t particularly pretty either.

4. retrofit

I’m just waiting for a preference to use the SI base unit cd and luminous flux when referring to these lamps:D

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Snap! Same with my hubby. He always nagged me, which made me rather obdurate about my terminology. :p

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I have an incandescent lightbulb that doesn't even have a wattage marked on it. Mind you, it's in the outside loo, so it's turned on maybe half a dozen times a year, when I need something from in there after dark. I'd guess 40W - brighter than my granny's lav which had a 15w in it!

Catriona likes this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The main reason lamps have their brightness quoted in Watts is that the majority of their output is heat and thus the holder/shade/fitting will be rated to deal with the heat load. Thus a standard lamp may be rated at 100W or 150W but the equivalent output will be provided by a much lower power LED. The light output from an incandescent lamp isn't constant, it tends to fall as the filament ages, so quoting the output in cd would be unhelpful. Additionally, making the lamp directional, as is the case with spotlights increases the luminous flux in the direction of the beam so using cd to determine the required lamp would be confusing. Lumens is more practical in the domestic situation.

Learning likes this.
  8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

When my parents had a new house built around 2013-2015 (it took a long time.....) it was fitted out throughout (apart from the kitchen and bathrooms) with some sort of weird 4-pin square base CF light sockets. They take a while to reach full brightness and are a bit of a pain to change as well as being a bit pricey and not so easy to find in the shops.

Mercifully they don't blow very often as mum is now on her own after dad passed away and she's no good at all at changing bulbs (and cannot reach them anyway). Why they didn't fit normal light sockets and LED lamps I do not know. Kitchen and bathrooms have the mini halogen downlighter things, and fingers crossed, in all the time that mum has been on her own I have not had to change 1... in fact I don't think there is even a spare in the house

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The light is virtually the same as fluorescent tubes, not surprising as they are very similar, not really suitable for the home except in kitchens and bathrooms.

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same, but it might just be the one in the freezer where fractionally more energy is needed to remove the waste heat.

11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I reckon I must have one of the inefficient lighting setups in Christendom - the bathroom. It is lit by five 12 volt 50 watt quartz halogen bulbs, each with its own transformer. The lights are embedded in a false ceiling, and although I can pop them out to replace bulbs, I can't get at the transformers or 230 volt input without tearing up the entire wood planked and polished floor in my study - or, of course, tearing down the entire bathroom ceiling.

As the cost of that would far exceed the extra costs of the power, even at Cyprus prices, it's staying as it is!

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Well my attempt to get us into puns failed miserably!

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Sp did my light bulb upstairs recently! Hahaha!

14. retrofit

Yes, I was joking :D

15. Catriona

Co-incidence. Crossword clue today: Former unit of luminance. Answer - L_M_E_T

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I tend to find some of the SI derived units a bit of a joke.Why change the unit of pressure from the Bar to the Pascal, are we now to call a Barometer a Pascalometer? If it’ ‘ain’t broke don’t fix it.

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Most, if not all of our light bulbs are efficient and would use even less energy if the female members of our household could learn that light switches also turned off lights.:)

nimbus and daft_biker like this.
  18. retrofit

I think for the same reasons mentioned in your post 27? (you make a valid point)

I prefer reading in Bar on instruments and feeding values in SI units for calculations.

19. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

All mine are 4000K led lamps range from 5-9w that are about the same amount of light as the old 40-75w ones.
    I prefer the white and brighter light of the 4000K to the traditional 2700k or the cold white 5600k.

20. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I spent some time this morning looking through the lab shelves for sodium hydrogen carbonate. I eventually discovered it labelled as sodium bicarbonate. IUPAC were going to put an end to this sort of carp back in 11967, FFS!