1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The minefield of Probate.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Sep 26, 2021.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Following the sudden death of my M in Law in May in the Gower carehome where she`d lived for the last few years we`ve had a pretty full on four months.

Her financial affairs were very complex,in six figures and caused no end of problems despite her having left a Will.
    My wife was sole executor and copies of the will were required by utility companies,teachers` pensions,among others.At last it`s finally sorted!The major cause of said difficulties was Barclays Bank!!It took them three and a half months for a service which should have been done in a couple of weeks.
    I`ve never had faith in Barclays ever since they closed my mother`s account for no reason about thirty years ago.
    Anyone else had bank problems?

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had such problems.
    Our main account was with RBS and they couldn't have been better. Did most everything with one face to face contact by me. This was after hubby died 9 years ago. The solicitor was another matter (executor). I gave her a file of our finances, investments etc and she failed to deal with one cash ISA in David's name I can't remember why that one wasn't joint, but there we are. After the solicitor had presented her bill and finalised everything according to her, I found the ISA with the TSB hadn't been dealt with. I went back to the solicitor in quite a bad mood and quizzed her on her missing this one. With bad grace she had to raise additional paperwork etc to free the money - and then had the gall to bill me. I'm afraid I told her where to stick it!

So no, the bank was great. The soliciotr executor was crap.

3. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

The original of my Father's will was held by Barclays together with various other documents in a document deposit facility that they no longer offer, despite the service no longer been in operation and during the first lock down they were able to find the documents within a month.
    Then the fun started, I needed probate to view the will but I could not get probate because I needed the will to get probate. After some time it was agreed that the documents would be sent to my local branch, which is not very local because they have closed all the ones local to me, where two members of the branch staff would open the documents at which point if the will named me as Executor and I could prove who I was they would release the will, but non of the other documents. I will also add that I was not allowed to be present when the documents were first opened, only after opening them could I be phoned and an appointment be made for their collection which fitted in with their reduced hours covid compliant systems.
    Whilst they were no doubt acting correctly it was a trifle annoying and rather drawn out.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Lloyds have been great in my first (and hopefully only) experience as an Executor this last month. I'm thinking of moving my accounts to them from Barclays - so big was the difference in experience.

ascu75, Catriona and zx9r like this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dave banked with Barclays so when he died I froze the account and made an appointment to close it
    Got there and waited for ages and after an hour and a half was told the person I had made the appointment with had had "to see to an important customer"
    So I never officially closed the account there was only £32 in there and over the next year what with the job and housing situation etc I didn't pay it attention. A year to the day after I froze the account I got a bank statement and they'd taken the £32 in administration fees!

6. swanseadave

We are with HSBC which was previously Midland Bank.
    This for the younger members who may not have known that.
    I`d had a Midland account since the early 70s and never had any problems.

Lesley,what a bl"""dy nerve!!

My younger son is with TSB and he`s had issues with them.

"I'm afraid I told her where to stick it!" So would I have too Catriona!!

Catriona likes this.
  7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The whole process needs an overhaul, I'm convinced that it was written in the days when there were a few very wealthy land-owners, and everyone else was a "pleb" with no bank account or savings. In the past 6 years I've had to deal as joint Executor with 2 Estates, one being my father (my brother and me were executors) and a couple of years before that of a family friend (my dad and I were executors). For the family friend, Barclays lost my father's set of forms leading to a delay of several weeks in opening the Executors' account. Family friend had 2 accounts with Lloyds, one of which was overdrawn. When I went into a local-to-her branch to notify them of the death and try to clear the overdraft to stop charges accruing further, they had nobody in branch who knew what to do and as she was still alive according to their records, I wrote a cheque out to her deceased self which was paid into the overdrawn account to clear the overdraft (it was only about £5).

For every bank etc, either my father or I had to make a specific appointment, go in with proof of identity, death certificate, Will etc; absolute time-consuming bureaucracy at its worst. Why can't we have a central system to record deaths where institutions can check?

Catriona likes this.
  8. swanseadave

Your experience sounds very like my wife`s.First appointment with Barclays the woman was clearly way out of her depth.

We were referred to Barclays elsewhere in the country,I know not where,and they did seem to have some sort of grasp on it.

However it still took them three and a half months to release the balance of the account into our HSBC account.I think they
    expected us to open an executor`s account with them but no way Jose!!

Anyway thankfully we have no need to deal with Barclays ever again.:)

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

All banks are having admin issues, mainly resulting from issues connected with covid, massive increases in online shopping and the associated problems caused when there is an issue. I have a Consumer Credit Act section 75 claim with HSBC since October 2020 for 2.6k and the delay is exactly for the reasons stated.

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Also a lack of staff (except at the very top of course):rolleyes:

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have only had to deal with two wills, both straightforward but even so the bureaucracy was staggering varied from one organisation to the next. In this day and age, there should be secure way to store all the documents in a central location so that all these organisations can get access.

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Hopefully they will pay you interest, which will amount to £10 if you are lucky.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Interest before 2008 was quite handy

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Reaching a point where two ISAs are up for consideration, hearing the spiel by the provider is a veritable joke. I can't help laughing when they warn me about closing them early and losing interest. Oh hardship!
    My only question these days is access by someone else if I pop my clogs. I am assured that will be no problem.

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

When i got the statement I put it in the box where I keep some small mementos of Dave like his bank card and various official paperwork and i swear the box shook, i could hear him yelling from the Heavens above "How dare the f***ers charge me f***ing interest when I'm f***ing dead!"

John Farrell likes this.