1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The macro season is here!

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by MickLL, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

One from today's walk.

If anyone can help with the ID I'd be very grateful.

MickLL

[​IMG]

2. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Cracking shot Mick! :cool:

I had a look with the right hand twig/stem removed and it seemed to tidy it up a tad...

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Agree 100%.

MickLL

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

But that would be cheating;)

Nice start to the season Mick. The bee looks a lot more animated than some of your other subjects....I think we can let you off with the bit of out of focus wing for that:)

5. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Lovely stuff, Mick.
    I think it's a honey bee?

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is a honey bee. But the shot is ace. :)

May I ask technical details?

7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I've done some work and think that it is indeed a worker honey bee (Apis mellifera) and the catkin is the female catkin of the grey willow (Salix cinerea).

The technical details are Sony A900; Minolta 100mm macro;1/160 sec at f7.1 ISO 200. It's a crop of about 25% of the full frame (by area) and the only post treatment is the crop, a slight fiddle with levels and the merest whisker of USM. Hand held.

Enough??

MickLL

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Hand held- blimey, I'm impressed. Great clarity of colours. Super job!
    :D

9. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

Wish I could get successes like that! I've just got an extension tube and will be bug hunting in my garden as soon as any appear. Was it flash btw? And did you auto-focus or focus by moving in and out or what? I try that shooting on high speed continuous and hoping one of the shots is sharp!!:)

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

No flash;manual focus plus a bit of rocking back and forth. Single shot, not continuous.

Hope that helps.

MickLL

11. Ednewbie

Ednewbie Well-Known Member

Superb!

Ed

12. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Great shot, great shot.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Mick, might be my crappy work laptop, but it seems to need a half stop more. Does that kill any sacred NH cows?

[​IMG]

14. BrianWall

It's your lappy Mike as it looks right on my calibrated 24" :)

15. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I opened the RAW file again to play and to my chagrin discovered that I had misled on the technical answer. My RAW processing software remembers the last adjustments I made and I see that I actually took out one third of a stop!!

So no Mike putting it back wouldn't cause sleepless nights ;). However as I took it out I must have felt that it needed it.

I think that you have also convinced me that the vertical stick at right has to go.

MickLL

16. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Nice one.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Jammy git! I buy my first macro and I swear every bug around East London has turned camera shy! We used to have a nice spider in our living room (they don't freak me out and they kill flies- it had spun its web out of reach of the cats so one very smart spider) and I swear there's now a "for Sale" sign on the web

18. BrianWall

Yep, I'm still waiting too! A lone bumble bee made an appearance but I don't yet have enough blooms to interest him. Hover-flies are my favourate subject and my ambition to capture one in flight with a nice flower in the same focal plane, all pin sharp. Some hope!:D

19. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Sorry guys - it's not 'jammy'.

If you know what might be about and know where to look and choose the time (in this case the first sunny warm day for some time) then you will find things.

MickLL

20. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

nice shot.