1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The lesser spotted Pentax user

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by BigWill, Dec 22, 2000.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Carefully I crept through the long grass. I didn't want to spook my quarry after carefully stalking him for over an hour. With a trembling hand I slowly brought my camera and long telephoto lens to my eye. Forcing myself to hold my breath I slowly squeezed the shutter. "Yes" at last I had caught that most elusive and rare creature on film "The lesser spotted Pentax user".If you happen to see one of these almost extinct creatures yourself then please tell them to post a message in the Pentax section of the AP website, or mabye they are all just too shy!

BigWill

2. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

We are still around, but maybe not as active as we once were. I for one am no longer reproducing but can boast a collection of Spotmatics and lenses.

It still feels good to hold an old Pentax, it was the only survivor from a recent sell off I initiated to gain a top line digital. I sold Nikon, Mamiya, Rolleiflex even Leica, but just couldn't say goodbye to the Asahi's. That must be real love.

3. BigWill

As a prospective digital buyer myself John, I would be interested to hear your views on the digital camera you bought. Was it worth selling your precious Rollei's Mamyia's and Nikons for or was it all a dreadful mistake which you now regret? I for one am reluctant to dip a toe into the digital waters at the present time as I believe the quality is not there yet ( although the convenience certainly is). Please reply as I believe a lot of potential digital purchasers out there would value your experiences and opinions. Don't ever sell the Pentax though. After all, we wouldn't want the lesser spotted Pentax user to become extinct!
    BigWill

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Will, perhaps the Pentax lot are out taking pictures, rather than talking about it - unlike us EOS owners!

5. BigWill

Wot, go out in this weather! ya must be joking. Only a lesser spotted Pentax user would venture out in these arctic conditions with his trusty mechanical shutter K1000. My all electronic EOS5 would huff at the prospect of freezing it's "2CR5's off and refuse to work until milder weather arrives. This begs the question "are EOS users all a bunch of nancy-boy image obsessed posers" Well if it means going out in this weather the answer is "no way duckie, I might get my designer jeans wet"

BigWill

6. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Everything I expected and more. Maybe its my age, but the effort required to go and shoot a roll of film and its subsequent processing was becoming something of an effort. Digital has changed all that because the results are equally as good but can be seen immediately in a nice warm room with a cup of coffee and the lights on! Its the difference between an old cassette player and the latest CD player. Clean, quick, cheap to run and easy to use.

7. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Hi BigWill,

Short reply posted, if you would like to discuss further suggest contact through my Email address where upload of photos is possible. j_macnally@hotmail.com - John Macnally

8. BigWill

Thanks for the reply John. Obviously a happy camper as far as digital is concerned. Mabye I will give this digital malarkey a try if I can ever afford one of those outrageously overpriced digital cameras!

BigWill

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nice one Will, but actually I was out and about with my EOS 5 in the -6 temps of the Pentland Hills - lots of pictures of snow (why do I bother ???)
    Actually, the light was fantastic..... and no, I didn't see a Pentax user, only 3 other EOS users and a guy with a 'Blad. He got his wife to carry the (hefty) tripod !

10. BigWill

Sensible chaps those Blad users!

BigWill

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Too true

12. Dave Allsop

Dave Allsop New Member

Photography is a funny old world I make a living out of selling digital cameras and equipment but I have just picked up 2 Spotmatics which I am looking forward to using more than my digital kit!!!

13. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Well, Dave, you're a camera dealer eh? You may regret letting that be known to this lot! Stand-by to be blitzed with all sorts of questions and accusations. Nevertheless I hope we can turn to you for impartial advice on what and where to buy?

14. BigWill

And of course, a favourable discount on all goods purchased from you by members of the AP Forum, nudge nudge, wink wink!
    BigWill

15. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

I KNEW YOU WOULD BE THE FIRST TO NOTICE!!!!!!

16. BigWill

It's the Scots blood in my veins. Any chance of a bargain and I can smell it a mile away!
    BigWill

17. Dave Allsop

Dave Allsop New Member

Advice no problem I can even email you a few sample pics (but none from a Pentax digi cam as we do not stock them yet!!) What is this word "discount" BigWill I must look it up in my dictionary ;-) ( your not the only one with Scottish blood in them :) )

18. BigWill

Typical, mention discount to a camera dealer and he gets a sharp pain in his wallet! Only joking Dave, welcome to the forum, be prepared to have your brains picked!
    BigWill

19. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Hello Will
    I know someone who uses a Pentax, but he don't got no computer.

Get out and get shooting!!

20. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

There are Pentax users out there and I am proud to be one of them.

Over the years I have used a Spotmatic F (for over 10 years !) an SF1 and I currently use a PZ-1 and an MZ5n. I have had the PZ-1 nearly 10 years and still think it is one of the most under-rated cameras around. I looked closely at the new MZ-S but overall I am dissapointed. It seems a step back from the PZ, other, perhaps, than the autofocus. But in 10 years I have not been dissapointed with the autofocus on my PZ-1. It is faster and quieter than on the MZ5n.

I think that Pentax have made a mistake with the MZ-S.

I use FA 20-35, FA 28-70, F 70-210, FA 100 2.8, FA 50 1.7, FA 300 4.5. These are all superb lenses.

So, Pentax owners, let'snot hide ! Certainly we have good equipment. The key, howver, is do we use it to take good pictures ? If we do then maybe we need to show more of them.

What about setting up a pentaxpicture share ?

Maybe Pentax UK would even establish a web-site ?