1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The K3

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by JerryNash, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Are you aware of the full review on pentaxforum.com?

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re:Jerry Nash/Avatar -- The K3

Maybe you guys could just swap :)

:rolleyes:

Jack

3. Monobod

Just out of interest, I spoke to a well known dealership on Norwich yesterday for an update on the Pentax cash back offer. Any camera is evaluated on its merits and a trade in offer is made. On top of this you then get the Pentax £85.00 added to it.

I asked for a guide price for a pristine, low use K-5 with a battery grip and got this best price offer, subject to inspection:

Camera £265.00
    Grip £50.00
    Cashback £85.00

Total £400.00

It didn't exactly blow me away and make me rush to buy the K-3. £315 for a K-5 with grip seemed low to me considering I was given £240 for my K-7 just a couple of months ago. At that offer, I would keep it as a second body backup.

I would expect the K-3 to drop in price sometime in the Spring anyway. ?? maybe.

The K-3 ticks all of the boxes and the reviews are very positive, with a few small reservations here and there.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Erm... No. :) :p ;)

Looking on eBay and the LCE second hand section, although itemised the camera body itself sounds undervalued, the whole package (£50 for the grip, even an original one, is really quite high as far as I can see however any less could have been an insult?) comes in at something close to what you would have expect to pay for a MK1 K5 second hand now.

Considering how close the 5 is to the K5 MK2 you'd think there would not be a substantial difference, however I can easily imagine now the K3 is out that the market sees it as a camera that is three generations old rather than as it actually is. I've missed the boat when selling a body before - Although mine was only three generations old what would have caught about £250 for the body only a week before was offered for only £100 Part-ex on a second hand lens, all because earlier in he week the new generation model had been announced.

Keeping your 5 as a second body is an excellent plan, as long as you're going to use it ;) That was the plan with my one, and the value only ever goes down unfortunately :-/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The last K-7 I sold recently on eBay fetched £350, so the K-7 offer from a shop looks good to me. The K-5 offer also looks good, considering the likely end price is much lower now the new K-3 has arrived. If you look at what any are now selling on eBay for, it might give you a better idea of what the market will yield.

6. Monobod

Hi,

Yes, it is what one should expect I suppose. It is a bit of a shock though, when considering what was paid for it new. I had expected to keep the K-7 for a backup, or for a second lens when birding in a hide somewhere to save demounting the 300mm, but because of the resolution differences it never quite worked out. In the end I sold it as it was sitting on the shelf unused. Do I think that the K-5 would be used though, as it is such a superb camera? If the K-3 turned out to be such a large step forward, perhaps not.....Hmmm??? It is much better to crop from a K-3 file.

Talking myself into a hole here! :)

7. Monobod

Thinking a bit outside of the box, so to speak, why do we think we need more than 16Mp anyway? I understand that it is possible to crop tighter and still get a useable image, even if only for projection at 1400x1050, but consider this:

The Flagship Nikon D4 has only 16Mp. The Nikon D300s only has 12Mp, yet both of these cameras give impeccable images. The Canon EOS 1 DX only has 18.1Mp, but again give outstanding images.

The lower resolution gives better high ISO performance with virtually no noise and excellent colour reproduction, so why this quest for more (and therefore smaller) pixels? I wonder if we are chasing our own tails?

What is your take on it?

8. johnriley1uk

It's a fair enough point. The image size of the 16 MP cameras is more or less an A3 print as is, even set at 300ppi. Very convenient and the best quality, provided of course we use the full frame. The 24 MP cameras offer an even bigger standard size, which is fine if we need it. They also offer the chance to crop down to A3 or less as needed, maintaining the quality level of the previous models. However, they also offer updated features in many other ways and we might want these other features regardless of the pixel count.

9. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

I've read it. A very honest and unbiased appraisal i thought (although perhaps that means I'm biased!)

10. Monobod

Hi John,

I am tempted to say that 24Mp in a FF sensor camera, I would be very happy with. I accept that the K-3 has a couple of nice features, such as the Moire pattern removal, but for me, 8.3 fps as opposed to 7 on the K-5 is not that big a deal, as I hardly ever use machine gun mode anyway. I do print A3 for club competitions at 320dpi and if I need to crop I can accept slightly under A3 or print at a slightly reduced resolution. Most of my images are cropped to some extent, either letterbox or square. TBH, printing at 180dpi still gives excellent results if one has a top quality printer. The viewing distance for A3 is about 18 inches, so it still looks brilliant, as the theroretical circles of confusion are not apparent.

I think I will wait for Pentax to release a FF model before I change. If the money comes along and Pentax do not produce the goods, then a Nikon D800e would be my next choice. I have several friends who own the D800e and they have nothing but praise for it. The image quality is astonishing, but the camera has near perfect white balance and exposure control as well as class leading autofocus. Sad to have to say this, but Pentax do not seem to be meeting my wants just at the moment. The downside to going over to Nikon is the cost of buying a couple of lenses of course.......

11. johnriley1uk

There are some interesting Ricoh patents being found on the web. A batch of lenses includes 645, APS-c and even a 60mm f/2.8 Macro for 35mm format. If this is a clue that things are afoot, perhaps you should wait awhile and see what happens?

12. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

FWIW, A friend/Pentax customer is going to pick up a K-3 in the spring, on my urging :) Like you say and as I imagine, a probable price drop in the spring plus a possible (probable?) firmware upgrade should make it a good investment :) I'm evening considering it :eek: and I haven't owned a top end Pentax Camera since my PZ-1 :eek: Although, if I do, I don't envy my back ;)

Cheers,

Jack

13. Done_rundleCams

14. Monobod

Yes John,

The FF format would be a blessing for me, as all but two of my lenses are FF anyway. These include the Sigma EX 100-300 f/4, the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 macro, the 50mm f/1.7, the 70-210 f/4 one touch zoom and the 28-105 f/4-5.6 power zoom that came with my Z1-p. The gap would be in the wide focal length with the APS-c 10-20 (15-30) Sigma. My Sigma 17-70 (24-105) is nicely matched by the FF power zoom and both Sigma lenses could be sold on or kept for the K-5.

One can but just wait to see what comes around, but I do feel that with Ricoh in the driving seat now, Pentax has the chance to become a leading light once more. Exciting times lay ahead possibly. :) My obvious preference would be to stay with Pentax, as I have flashguns and extension tubes to match as well. All expensive to replace.

15. Monobod

Hello Jack,

I know what you mean, I too have a very sensitive back problem and carrying a brick around is painful, but we suffer for our hobby, stiff upper lip and onward into battle in the true British spirit......what we need is a Caddy and a four wheel drive dune buggy! :D

16. Done_rundleCams

Indeed, David :) And, at least, you've been carrying the K-5 and kit for a while but, poor old me, have been carrying a Q and lens(ses) and, since June 2013, I've been saddled with a second body --a GR IV :eek: I guessing, the battery of the K-3 would probably equal the weigh of my two(2) cameras :eek:. But, at least, I could go back to using one(1) elastic band (rubber) and plastic bag ;)

Cheers,

Jack