1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The K3

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by JerryNash, Oct 7, 2013.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Mrs Spinno is currently out of the country...however she didn't leave me any spending money:eek:
    Now where's that phone number of the PPI experts....:D

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Lotto tomorrow, you have to be in it to win it.......maybe just a couple of thousand or so.......would be a help. :eek:

3. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Looks good, undoubtedly, but a couple of frankly tiresome extra expenses needed if I've understood the full spec in the e-mail from Pentax User correctly;-

Why is a new battery grip required when the new camera looks exactly the same shape and size as the K5 series? On past experience that'll be £150 or so.

Likewise, why another mains adapter, at another £150 no doubt? More to the point why is there even any charge for these - any other electrical item has a free one as standard.

On the other hand, the list of compatable lenses is at least reassuring: not only will the older AF lenses still focus, they'll even powerzoom. So like one or two others here, my 28-105 lives to shoot another day.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Too far back, I think, but on your list for a write up, I hope. I suppose you could also say the LX was an even numbered camera ... :rolleyes:

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The AP headline did suggest Pentax now consider themselves to be #3, going after Nikon's & Canon's spots in the League. Seem to recall expensive new accessories is a current Nikon trick. :rolleyes: They wanna play with the big boys. ;)

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the mains adaptor issue is, there is one included in the box!

So far as the name is concerned, it's a lot better than *ist :)

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, I've a K2 DMD that will be featured fairly soon. :)

They've already reused KX and KM, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

8. PentaxManiac

Battery charger, perhaps, but not the mains adaptor that allows the camera to be used plugged into the mains when indoors. Pentax ask upwards of a hundred notes for these.

9. PentaxManiac

I think Pentax would have to do something pretty bad not to be number three behind Canon and Nikon now, given that it represents third out of three, your mob having now joined Sony in dropping reflex cameras.

Oh, pardon me: forgot Sigma. As has the rest of the world, it would seem.

10. Monobod

But will it track the image size as it does on the Z1-p film camera? Still good to know. It power zooms on the K-5 too.

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I used the Power Zoom when shooting an Indy race once. Twas amazing, David :)
    Back, of course, in PZ-1 days :D

Cheers,

Jack

12. Monobod

If I ever need it desperately, then I still have the Z1-p film body to use it on. Means scanning trannies, but I have a Canon film scanner, which works quite well with third party software (viewscan).

I am very impressed with the K-3 specification and a lot of bang for the bucks, but being an APS-C it will still have the problem of not being able to get really shallow depth of focus from standard lenses. It would pain me truly to scrape together the anti, just to find later on that the FF body is announced.

I would probably wait a year for the price to settle down anyway, so that would give Pentax time to announce the FF, if they ever do of course, which I am not really confident about anyway. They don't have many current FF lenses on offer, or do they? :confused:

13. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

Drooling! Looks like time to upgrade from K7.

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

A comment about the K3 somewhere online reads: "Nikonians, here is your D400."

I agree. Bravo, Pentax.

I agree so much that today I traded in my Nikon D300s kit, lenses, flashes, remotes, the lot.

My K3 on pre-order.

:)

15. Done_rundleCams

Indeed Mr. Proudfoot :) ... but, why oh why, can't they change it 4 AA in the grip :( (just my wee rant :rolleyes:)

Cheers,

Jack

16. Done_rundleCams

Yowza, A_T_V_R, that is a tremendous leap of faith :eek: but, I'm confident that you'll be very satisfied :)

And, OOC, what do you have to shoot with betwixt cameras?

Cheers,

Jack

17. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Hi Jack, having played with the K5II and the K30 in the shop I am confident Pentax are where I need them to be now and as long as they deliver on their stat promises I will be very happy with the as yet unreleased machine. I've been feeling the want to move to Pentax since the K7 showed they were catching up, and I was sooo tempted by the K30 when it came out, but it was not enough of a step up from what I had.

The D300s was a lot of machine and I had the joy of having the 24-70mm f2.8, a very capable combination, but it was not being used. The 51 point AF was very capable but I rarely used it for what it was best at, and when I did I pre-focused for the subject anyway undermining that potential. That is not to say the Pentax will be a downgrade, far from it, the AA simulator is the best of both worlds and as for the sensor itself - the D300 sensor at the time was impeccable, second in performance only to the D3/D700 however the K3 sensor predicts a top ISO of 51000, so I am hoping usable ISO to 6400, outpacing even the d700 which I would have to have spent the K3 body price on for a second hand example anyway, and as for the D600... uninspired.

Would I have stuck with Nikon if they had announced a D400 rather than a rehashed D610? (D600's' using Nikons usual numbering system :rolleyes:) I don't know, because they haven't and as far as I know never will :p

As for cameras to use in the mean time, I have a couple to choose from:

A Pentax Q and Lumix G3 kits for interchangeable lens photography, a Pentax WG2 for when I need something waterproof and a raft of other compacts littered around the place. Heck, a cameraphone if needs be, I'll never be without an imaging device ;)

At the moment I have no SLR kit save for a 50-200mm WR I picked up at the same time as pre-ordering, to go with the kit when it comes out. But you're right ones money really has gone where ones mouth is as far as ship jumping goes but if you are going to change brands you might as well do it properly ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  18. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

Hi Jack, I have a slightly different problem with 6 AA's! I bought a BG4 grip this year that won't work with the K3!

All the best,

Chris

19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Mmmm, looking on Amazon they have a launch date of the 2nd of November. I didn't think anyone knew this info yet, so is this official or is it the world's largest department store picking a date out of the air as they have been know to do in the past?

"This item is due to be released on November 2, 2013.
    Please note that release dates are subject to change."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-DSLR...UTF8&qid=1381520277&sr=8-3&keywords=pentax+k3

20. Done_rundleCams

Ah well, AVTR, like me, you can your (full size) DSLR as a back up to the Q :D

Cheers,
    Jack