1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The K3

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by JerryNash, Oct 7, 2013.

1. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Is anyone else considering going to SRS in Watford on Wednesday for the launch of the K3?

From the leaked specs and photos, this looks like one heck of a camera! I can't fault my K30 in any way, aside from that i miss the extra controls and top plate of my K7, but if the QC on the K3 is up to scratch, i may have to step up again... it looks like an absolute beast!

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Not heard anything about a K-3.......must check this out.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looks like the rumour mill is working overtime...

Doesn't mean it's wrong though...:)

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's been all over the Pentax forums I frequent.....I can't make it to Watford sadly but I will be watching....and waiting

5. Monobod

24M pixels but still APS-C.........

I think I will wait for the reviews first before making any kind of decision. I'm sure it will out perform the K-5, but at what cost to the high ISO output???

6. JerryNash

It looks like it will have the same sensor as the one in the Nikon D600, but given Pentax's ability to tweak a sensor to bring about improved results, i suspect the high ISO output would be comfortably on par, if not better than the K5II.

What intrigutes me most about the K3 is the rumoured AF system. Pentax has for years lagged behind the competition in this respect, however the K3 is supposed to introduce a 27 point system with 25 of them being cross-type. That could massively improve its ability for sports photography and other similar scenarios where previous Pentax bodies fell down. I also think video shooters will be pleased with the number of improvements.

And... 2 SD slots!

On paper (or at least on rumoured paper!), the specs make this look like quite a step up.

7. Monobod

It may well be a viable alternative to a FF body and the extra resolution will be useful for added detail to full images, but also for cropping natural History shots of birds and stags for example. I'm warming to the idea, but does it have the mechanical drive still for auto focus? I would be disappointed if it didn't, as well as having the connection for 'in lens' motors.

I'n not so concerned about faster autofocus, but more reliable lock on would be nice. The additional sensors would certainly do that.

I'm warming to the idea, but I have just shelled out 1400 quid on a new computer....that's how the cookie crumbles I suppose. :rolleyes:

Isn't it great though to see a Pentax that can take on the big boys and win....

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Have to wait to see what Pixel Peepers says about the alleged new camera from Ricoh to see if it's an alleged win, David ;)

Personally, I'll wait to see the email from Ricoh-Imaging.ca with product codes and, of course, pricing :D However, after my first foray at shooting/seeing a football game and seeing my results (from the Q and 06 lens) .... improved focussing for sports stuff might be of interest ;)

Cheers .... if you want to see some dodgy football pics, focus wise :(, CLICK HERE

Jack

9. JerryNash

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: The K3 .... maybe it is real :eek:

Ricoh-Imaging US so, as long as their distribution site isn't in a National Park,
    Obamalanders should have a slight smile on their faces ;)

Cheers,

Jack

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Good grief that's a tasty machine. Nice one Pentax, now to totally sell me on it - does the new mk11 AF have the same bum-kicking low light performance as the mk10 was famed for? That's all I want to know, pretty please :)

Edit - Just looking on Dangies link, I see -3ev. Not to be sniffed at!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  13. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

For those into DSLR video ( not a feature I'd buy it for , but a nice extra ) , the Pentax page states that it shoots 4K video !

Not bad for something starting out at £1100 ( with £100 trade in offer ) and rumoured ( AP news today ) to sell for £999 , which seems likely once prices have settled in the new year .

I want one , but will have to wait until after the festive season .

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  14. Monobod

One thing that I love about Pentax is that they don't seem to treat their customers like money bags to be ripped off. They do not introduce a new dslr and then only months later bring out version 2 with improvements. They seem to wait until it is right before launching the product.

At this price it is a steal, but still a grand to find so not easily funded, or passed by my financial controller, bless her.......:D

Christmas come but once a year and when it comes it brings.....a K-3??? some hope! But one day perhaps. But even so, the K-5 is still a great camera. It just needs a Pentax 17-70 f/4.

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hmmnnn!

Olympus & Sony should start to get very nervous.

If this one is called K3, is there one called K1 just around the corner?

[PS: Why are the Japanese now developing an aversion to even numbers? :confused: ]

16. JerryNash

Of course you were all kind enough to ignore the rather blatant error in the above statement! I meant the D7100, obviously! #doh

17. Monobod

Perhaps it was caught from Microsoft, whose even numbered Windows products seemed to be the less favoured versions.....Vista and 8 for example.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Anyway, there's already a very lovely K2. ;)

19. Monobod

Could it be.......dare I say it.......the FF body? Do we need it now though? What do you think?

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Perhaps their innate sense of aesthetics has told them that photographs (and by extension camera names) should avoid even numbers of subjects. ;)

If I were interested in DSLRs this'd most likely be top of my shopping list. But I'm not, so I'll pass, but rest assured in the knowledge that Ricoh/Pentax are still on the ball.