1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

the IST*DS (new Pentax DSLR)

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

No Pain No Gain/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

2. Done_rundleCams

"Just supposing the istD & istDS were the same price of £700 which would you choose ?"

Both................staff discount/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif!

Morning John,

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

3. Done_rundleCams

"Decided it was too early and went back to bed..."

Morning Bettina,

After my own heart/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

4. HelenEdith

HelenEdith Well-Known Member

Jack, I agree that this *ist DS looks like an excellent camera, and I want one, too! I'll have to wait until next year, though, as I've got something else (not camera related) to pay off first.

One thing nobody's mentioned but which is no big deal for me anyway is that they've lost TIFF files.

I do have a couple of concerns, as I've just been reading http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_features?reqID=3&subsection=null and http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_specs?reqID=3&subsection=null and I notice that the minimum PC requirement is for Windows ME, 2000 or XP. I only run 98. My other half has XP, so we might be able to come to an arrangement over it:)

The other area of concern for me is the focussing screen. The standard screen is a Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen, but as options, you can get either an AF Split-Image Matte or an AF Divided Matte screen. I *might* buy it with a lens (makes sense because the 1.5 multiplication factor makes my film camera zoom lenses less than versatile to use as standard zooms and also I currently own no AF lenses at all) but I expect to use my manual focus PK lenses on it a great deal. All of my SLR bodies (about nine of them: some Pentax and some Ricoh but all using the PK or PKA mount) have a split image focussing screen and I don't know whether I could focus a manual lens without a split image screen. It will be interesting to see how much it adds to the cost to get an *ist DS with a split image focussing screen.

Helen Stephenson

HelenEdith

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Congratulations.....Daddy! It will probably keep you up all night...theres all that changing and feeding (not to mention the smell)!! But I'm sure the joy it will bring will make it all worthwhile./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

But seriously...I cant be bothered ploughing through the review to find out so....whats the red emmiter thing on the hand grip? Does it check the finger print of the owner...or are you supposed to keep that bit uncovered? Strange place to put anything functional?

Graeme

AGW[​IMG]

6. johnmcd

johnmcd Well-Known Member

I heard mentioned elsewhere that it's just the self timer flashing light so nothing exciting.