1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The IR edition - 12 May 2012

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Malcolm_Stewart, May 9, 2012.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Well done!

An excellent source of information for those of us who were a bit rusty on IR through to those of us who really should have taken up brain surgery!

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Infra-red article

Aaaargh. Having borrowed an R72 filter from college and STRUGGLED to get anything decent with it, I last week gave it back in disgust. Only to get this week's AP magazine and see you covering Infrared photography. This is not the first time this has happened. Next year, if I get accepted to the next level, I'm sending you my timetable so that you can sort your publishing out to match it better!!!!!!! (However, the info will be useful for the "research" part of my paper even if I did only manage about two rather blurry shots of my own!)

3. Tim Coleman

Tim Coleman AP Deputy Technical Editor

Re: Infra-red article

Ha! Well I can assure you once you understand it, how to do it and you get some good results, IR photography is addictive indeed! I'm mourning the fact my Nikon D70 was stolen a few years back - I definitely would have converted it this year. The R72 is one of the most usuable of the filters if you fancy giving it another go at any point.

4. Tim Coleman

Tim Coleman AP Deputy Technical Editor

Thanks Malcolm! We have found it a lot of fun getting into the invisible world! Like I have said in another post, I just mourn the theft of my Nikon D70 from a few years back, which I am sure by now I would have had converted for IR.

5. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

If only it was a tad cheaper to get a camera converted I'd have my D80 done but £250 is just too extravagant.
    For the adventurous ones amongst us there are articles on the "Instructables" web site on converting old compact digital cameras to IR. I have an old HP knocking around but haven't braved it yet.

Andrew

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In 2005(?) Canon offered the 20Da, an IR edition, for astro purposes, but not too much help if your lenses are Nikon.

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I've just bought a converted D80. Really enjoying seeing what it can do :D

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

And the 60Da is coming very soon.

Trouble is, though these cameras have extended red response, it's just about enough to record hydrogen alpha (656.28 nm) properly ... the things are still short pass blocked at around 680 nm.

9. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

But the 60Da, like its predecessor the 20Da, is not a true IR camera but a standard camera with a modified hot mirror with enhanced sensitivity to certain wavelengths in the far end of the red visible spectrum. It's resonse to true infra red is still likely to be no better than a standard body.

Now a 60D with an IR filter instead of the hot mirror and no Bayer screen would be far more interesting...;)

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

And better still with all the superfluous stuff stripped off, and a cooler added to reduce noise.

Fact of the matter is, much as I like optical viewfinders, there's little point in having one on a camera used for I imaging because of the focus shift in the optics. Removing the hot mirror anti-alias filter altogether does disrupt the focusing mechanism but as it's already compromised there's no loss there.

Now, what does one end up with if one takes a DSLR, removes everything but the sensor and adds a Peltier cooler? Something like this, perhaps.