1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Invention of Digital Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fen, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I remember our first computer I had built with a 3.3 GB hard drive and when showed it to a very good friend he said “wow you will never fill that up” we still laugh about that. Technology moves so fast that it frightens me.

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In the early 1990s I started a new role and decided that a computer might be a good idea, I bought an Olivetti with a 40 MB hard drive and 2MB of ram. The last photograph I took is 34.9 MB something we would have considered very differently 30 years ago. Except that the camera I used is 9 years old and in many respects outdated. In 1993 we would have thought transferring 30+ MB in under 1 second to be not far short of miraculous but today it is routine. Now try to imagine what things might be like in 10 years time.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I was very taken with the Olivetti PCs and bought a M21 almost as soon as they became available. I went for the twin floppy version and later plugged in an internal 20MB drive. Heavy but very reliable...

Olivetti M21 luggable computer Nikon F 1991 59-07.jpg

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That's a microwave with a keyboard attachment- you can send emails whilst cooking your porridge- wasn't it made by Amstrad?:rolleyes:

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

How dare you insult my beautiful Olivetti! :mad: :p

7. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

But look on the bright side: just as your consumption of digital storage has increased a thousand-fold, so has you standard of living, so it's all good.

8. Fogey

Fogey Member

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have more than that, if you include phones and tablets I have that many within arm's reach. Just as well the company went ahead anyway.

10. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

How many if you include Digital Cameras?

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Rather a lot!
    If I include SatNav systems, phones, tablets, laptops etc. rather more than I want to mention,

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Alexa, how many devices has Geoff got?

WillieJ likes this.
  13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Made on licence by Armstrong Whitworth with metal from a Bessemer steel crucible

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No Alexa, wouldn't have one.
    Otherwise, too many.

spinno likes this.
  15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There was a great joke about Alexa in the paper at the weekend. Non-tech man. Asks wife how he can turn off Alexa. “Walk around in your socks and underpants, does it for me”.

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Didn't the Viking Mars lander use digital cameras?? That is 1975?

If so then first digital camea would be before 1975 during prototype development,

Also there were spy camera programmes going at the time out of the Pentagon. Which would have driven digital imaging

technology. LOL

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

The Proc.IRE (Proceedings of the International Radio Engineers) recorded much of what was being discovered in physics and electronics, and in 1962 I found the first mention of infra-red light emitting diodes in its pages a few years earlier. (A change of name to Proc.IEEE quickly followed.) I expect the archived copies are now behind paywalls but that's probably the place to search for the really early stuff.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

As soon as I entered Viking Mars Lander into Google The first suggestion to narrow the search was camera. Google knows what we are writing about.
    Early space missions used Vidicon tubes but the Mars Lander had a rotating panoramic camera in which vertical strips of image were projected onto a matrix of photodiodes by an oscillating mirror. A sort of Heath Robinson lash-up inspired by John Logie Baird's televisual apparatus and one of those rotating cameras used to take a school photograph just a few years before my time.

19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Predating this was the Belinograph (or Belino) of 1913, which formed the basis for AT&T's Wirephoto service used by news agencies from the 1920s to the mid-1990s, which employed a rotating drum with a single photodetector at a standard speed of 60 rpm and eventually up to 240 rpm. Colour images were transmitted as 3 separate RGB files. Prior to this, I gather there was the Pantelograph, developed by an Italian in the 1860s which was presumably the first FAX machine, transmitting 150 x 100 mm images.

20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Every days a school day! This thread is interesting :)
    Don