1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Invention of Digital Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fen, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

"Seeing digital as a competitor to their own film products ... Kodak chose not to pursue it." As a fateful business decision, that must be right up there with Decca turning down the Beatles.

Oh, and you'd think that the author might have checked the veracity of this (about 1975): "there were no cellphones, no internet, most TVs were still black and white and computers were the size of houses".
    Maybe not cellphones, but mobile telephony was certainly available (at a price). The internet existed, but was still quite small. Color TVs were very much available and you could get a very respectable (by the standards of the time) computer that was no larger than a filing cabinet.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Don't believe that one. 1975?

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Or indeed Microsoft the iphone.....IBM the PC.....
    But whether any of them could pursue digital depended on where their core expertise lay. It was not based on photo technologies, but computer.

6. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Kodak definitely played a duplicitous games, both developing digital technologies whilst at the same time trying suppress the inevitable whilst playing the patent market - the end game is well documented but we do have them to thank for many of the features we currently use daily on our cameras.

“The company developed the first megapixel image sensor, which went into Apple’s groundbreaking QuickTake digital camera, and it came out with the first cameras with OLED screens and built-in Wi-Fi. By 2012, Kodak had accumulated 22 000 patents and other intellectual property covering 160 countries. From 2003 to 2011, licensing that IP to other companies had earned Kodak over $3 billion.“

https://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innovation/the-lowballing-of-kodaks-patent-portfolio

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Arpanet - Created in 1966, the forerunner to the internet

8. Andrew Flannigan

Arpanet is to the internet as a log roller is to the tyre and wheel on a sports car. :D
    I don't think IBM turned down the PC. They just struggled a bit then consoled themselves with all the money it brought them.

9. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

OK. I was being 'permissive' (or literal if you prefer) in my use of the word "internet". Transmission Control Protocol (which later became known as TCP/IP, "internet protocol") was first conceived in 1973, from packet switching technology developed for ARPANET in the late 1960s. Also in 1973, the first international packet-switched computer network was implemented and the word "internet" was coined in 1974, so by 1975 there was an international packet-switched computer network and the name 'internet' was in use (though not necessarily referring to said network). The internet we know and love only really got going in the 1980s and the web (HTTP) overlay on that only started c.1990.

https://openbookproject.net/courses/intro2ict/internet/history.html
    https://www.visualcapitalist.com/paper-map-early-internet/

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I remember being introduced to the magic of hyperlinks, and I think that was in the 1980s.

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hyperlinks, was that the predecessor to Lynx Africa?

12. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I remember having to code photos etc for early websites built with dream weaver and to list on eBay. We have it easy now compared to early 1990’s,as for Lynx Africa I now see there is a 72 hour deodorant for people who are dirty scumbags. Fancy not washing for three days. Yuck :eek::oops:

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yep
    Internet just means Inter-Network. More than one network connected together.
    Before that (and before networks worked properly) it was sneakernet. And the reason the 3.5 inch floppy disk is 3.5 inches - it fitted in a top shirt pocket, so it could be carried around to another computer or storage.:)

ascu75 likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

5.25" disks fitted comfortably in a jacket pocket. What's more, I could get a pack of ten 8" disks in each of the side pockets of my old camouflage jacket, :p

15. Malcolm_Stewart

And, I remember seeing bureau types carrying 12" (?) hard-drive platters in their cases from one mainframe to another. Anyone know what the capacity was?

(In an earlier life, I selected the best of the recently introduced npn transistors, OC160(?), for use in the core-store drive amplifiers. This was at Ferrantis, Wythenshawe doing a vac-job in 1963, and I think was for their Argus computer.)

John Farrell likes this.
  16. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just looked up Argus computer on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferranti_Argus

17. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

My first career was with Ferranti in Edinburgh.

18. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks for that link - I remember the name "Maurice Gribble" quoted in your link, but at this distance I can't remember whether he was the "local" manager of the lab I worked in, or in some more senior position.
    The lab was almost completely staffed with graduates from either Manchester University or Tech College. Just two of us out of around 10-14 were from non-local universities. A year later I was back in the same building but this time I was gaining my certificate in basic machine-shop practice necessary for me to complete my degree with a final year in the engineering faculty.

ascu75 likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

The single platters were 14" and carried 5MB in the case of the commonly used Pertec drives. I used to run and service several 10MB drives (1 fixed 5MB + 1 removable 5MB). Very easy to work on but a pig to move around. The drive chassis was around 50lb and the main box with the power supply about 100lb. When they introduced the D3000 series (100MB in a 9 inch casing) you could hear the sighs of relief from engineers the world over!

ascu75 and John Farrell like this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know how big the hard drives were but there was an expression “never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon packed with round tape”. The tapes for our IBM mainframe were I think 30 MB and a fair old size. I did actually move a rack or two in the back of an estate car from one site to another.