1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Impossible Project Instant Lab

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

If the results printed in AP this week on the test pages for The Impossible Project Instant Lab are anything to go by, I wonder why people would bother. Why is is that camera/sensor/film manufacturers spend years and years trying to improve the results from their products, only for something like this to come along, and get four stars from the magazine's tester? You really must be joking, and at £2.12 per print!

Are you sure the date isn't April 1st? For £129 you can buy a Canon SX600HS which will take/make photographs of good quality, whilst spending that sort of money on this **** would give you rubbish pictures, if AP's samples are anything to go by. Why this trend for producing rubbish pictures? Lomo and Holga are bad enough, but this seems even worse. Sorry, but I do not see any "fun" in producing rubbish, "arty" though it may be.

I await the replies with some trepidation, as I am sure I will be castigated by the arty-farty types.

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

No castigation but one man's rubbish pictures are another man's work of art; or just plain fun. I happen to like this, which was the result of an accident, when I was using Apple Preview to tidy up the original...

[​IMG]

3. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

To be honest it isn't something I'd rush out and buy myself, but lots of folks love it and we always strive to ensure that there's something in AP for everyone, whatever their tastes and interests – as well as throwing in the odd curveball every now and again.

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Well, Nigel your honesty is refreshingly commendable - just don't go looking for a job as an insurance salesman if the day job should go a**e over t*t.

5. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I've been reading this week that record vinyl sales are the highest for nearly twenty years and I would agree that there's something satisfying and reassuring in owning a physical object like an LP rather than as 'data' on a computer.

The 'instant lab' harks back to a bygone age in a similar way. I imagine it may provide some fun over Christmas but a product like this is always going to be a tiny minority 'niche' item and not take over mainstream photography, relax Roy! ;)

6. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

PS: Happy Birthday!!

7. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

8. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Yes I'd be terrible in a sales job!
    I don't pretend to personally like everything we publish in AP, but nor should I, otherwise the breadth of content would be much narrower. Luckily the AP staff have a very diverse range of tastes and interests and they're not slow to fight their corner. Hopefully everything we publish should be a good example of its type or have something about it that makes it stand out from the crowd.