1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Girl in White (x 2)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by beatnik69, Jun 29, 2020.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago my daughter's school assigned a homework where the kids had to recreate a famous painting as a photograph. We chose Girl With a Cat by Renoir. It came out ok for a school project, but it was slightly out of focus and the cat was blurred as she didn't want to be involved and made a leap for it. I got my daughter to sit for me last night, sans cat. I was going for a Victorian era look.

I printed this one on Fotospeed Platinum Etching paper and it came out really well.

[​IMG]The Girl in White-2 by Gary Robinson Photography, on Flickr

This was taken as a test shot to get the exposure right and I didn't notice it until I transferred the photos to the computer. I like the sense of vulnerability in it.

[​IMG]The Girl in White-1 by Gary Robinson Photography, on Flickr

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very nice. Like the first on especially. I know her eyes are on the third, but I just find them a bit low. Might explore slicing 1/4 off the top?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I like them both although I feel a little uneasy with the first since I feel your beautiful daughter is looking just over my shoulder. The second is lovely, and strangely, as RM says for the first picture, I would like a little bit taken off the top of frame.

A beautiful model and she is sure going to slay them as she grows up even more.

Done_rundleCams and beatnik69 like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Of the two I prefer the engagement of the first. I'd also take a bit off the top - the whole feels too tall and thin.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I prefer the first and the same as others have mentioned, a chunk from the top.

The biggest annoyance for me personally though, is, I really do not like seeing light reflected off black backdrops and in that reflection seeing the creases of where the material has been folded. It is the first thing I saw in the photo's (although the second one isn't too bad) perhaps why when I do photo's with my black material the background is too black as I try to get rid of it in PP.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Interesting. I "saw" the background as dark grey. Having a wall-covering in the background is in period for the setting so I assumed it was deliberate.

7. dream_police

I know it needs a covering and making it too black is wrong but I cannot help seeing the fold marks.

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Yes, but having googled the original painting, a tall thin cat would have balanced the image nicely.

Girl without cat doesn't quite have the same ring to it... in fact she looks like she's getting togged up to be an altar server at church, except that the book in the first shot is a little distracting

9. beatnik69

I did wonder about that. I might do it when I mount the print.

10. beatnik69

It's actually green. I'll have to put in the tumble dryer with a damp cloth, or invest in a steamer.

11. beatnik69

Would you believe the book is Bertrand Russell's "Unpopular Essays"?

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  12. beatnik69

13. dream_police

I would never have thought it was green!

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm out of line again - I prefer the second shot.

beatnik69 and Done_rundleCams like this.