1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Garden Gate

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by geoff_piltz, May 23, 2020.

1. geoff_piltz

geoff_piltz Well-Known Member

Here's another one that many won't like or won't understand. Does it trigger any associations in anyone's head?

The Garden Gate small.jpg

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You are almost correct. Liking has little to do with appraisal but indeed I don’t see the point.

Nope.

Much better than the fairies though.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nothing to dislike apart from the over saturation. If it is meant to represent release to somewhere, the gates opening in work against that.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Out of interest, Geoff. If I presented this photo, how would you appraise it? You already assume that not many of us would like it, nor understand it. Is that an issue with our taste and understanding as independent viewers or is it something at your end? Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I think it's a metaphor for a lady's foofer.

Craig20264 and dream_police like this.
  6. geoff_piltz

My appraisal? I think it could be better shot in a different light. I am sorry that I didn't wait until the cloud that was obviously obscuring the sun had moved away.

I have increased the saturation a little, it was shot with the Standard colour setting (Provia) on my Fujifilm X-Pro1, but the result is little different to the Velvia (saturated) setting. I wanted a strong graphic image in a simple two colour palette.

The image makes me think of all the fantasy stories where someone, normally a child, finds a gate into another world. As such I think I was influenced by the idea of it being a book cover with the book's name at the top and the author's at the bottom.

Nearly all the comments I have received on this forum have been very firmly rooted in a very literal interpretations of the photos without reference to any mental connotations that might arise in the viewer's mind. Is the aim of photography to be entirely objective and excise the subjective entirely? I realise that the viewer cannot always know what was in the photographer's mind, but I think that we should all make some effort when viewing others' photos, otherwise photography becomes sterile repetition and criticism descends to simply finding technical faults.

Geoff

7. RovingMike

It would do that a bit more if the gates, as I said, opened the other way.

But those things really work better in a context, so as a book cover it is fine. Or, when what is seen through the aperture is clearly different in some way. I think you need to study how to do that with photography a bit more if it is to work in absence of any context. Darker into lighter can help.

But if you really want helpful critique, it gets you further quicker if you set out from the start what you are trying to do. Without that, people are going to start with any obvious IQ or executional defects (or what appear to be defects). I think it is a really good aspect of photography to work on and probably one of the harder things to achieve.

8. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

Does absolutely nothing for me

1. Colours over done
    2. No point of interest
    3. lacks sharpness

9. RovingMike

All of which can quite legitimately be dispensed with as long as the creative result works. But having had it into PS, I'd say sharpness is one of the things it definitely has.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I nearly replied an hour ago but I agree with Mike.

The colours are OK, the light is flat but they seem accurate and typical of a Fuji camera set to Velvia as we are told.
    The gate offers a point of interest, it doesn't actually have to be interesting but there is no doubt that the picture is about the gate.
    It seems sharp to me.

I bet it was a nice view when the hedges were maintained - looks like a decade of missed pruning.

11. geoff_piltz

Yes the garden has been neglected for many years. Arbigland House on the Nith Estuary has only recently been bought by a new owner who is setting about restoring the gardens. A pleasant place to visit.

Geoff

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No, but when it fails sometimes it isn't the viewers fault.

Craig20264 likes this.
  13. geoff_piltz

The viewer is never at fault, nor is the photographer. To expect every viewer to appreciate every image is like expecting every reader to like every book, or every movie goer to like every film. Some things appeal to a wide audience and some things don't. That's life.

Geoff

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Oh I agree with you but it seems at odds to your other comments.

Anyway, I'm afraid the image evokes little emotion in me. Given your comments, I'm not sure I could recommend any improvements that wouldn't be seen as merely sterile.

15. RovingMike

Very true,

But if one wants to improve, it would be dangerous to take refuge in the idea that someone somewhere might get it, so therefore its fine really. We have one here that passionately believes that all photographers and for that matter, all artists, are as good as eachother, simply based on the fact that someone somewhere might think they are and there are no metrics to measure good. He is unlikely ever to be able to improve. Most of us think we can.