1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fluff in your navel!

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by BigWill, Jan 26, 2001.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Isn’t it odd when you are lying in bed at night, contemplating the fluff in your navel, the odd thoughts that go through your head. For instance, why do seagulls always KNOW when you have just washed the car! Why does Doug Harman ALWAYS have to be right! Why am I such an utter PRATT! Anyway, one such thought, which sprang into my ever-furtive mind, was “Could a psychologist tell what sort of personality you have simply by looking at the type of photographs you take?” No, don’t laugh, after all, do we not make assumptions about people from the type of clothes they wear, the type of car they drive, the type of party they vote for, so why not photographs! What assumptions could we make about the “Nature photographer” for example. Well, obviously had a bad experience with people in their childhood so now prefers the company of animals! The “Sports photographer”, was no use at games at school and now consoles him/herself with photographing the subject instead! The “glamour photographer”. Well that one’s easy isn’t it, he’s obviously a pervert!
    OK, so I am only kidding, but there is a serious undertone to this subject. It is a fact that certain types of personality are good at certain photographic subjects. I think that a wedding photographer (feel free to come in here “Tonymidd”) must have a natural ability to communicate with people and be able to get them to do what they want them to do. Similarly, a photojournalist must be ruthless and be prepared to take the picture no matter what the cost. Anyone want to take the ball and run with this subject a little further?
    BigWill.

2. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

i tend to disagree. many photographers work in the field for the finacial rewards.. or dependant on their location. in this day and age photographers have to continuly re-invent themselfs.. their subject and style. and alot of people photograph one subject becuase they dont want to stray, people stay where they are comfortable... for instance.. i do all my work on location, i have 24/7 access to a good studio, but i cant be botherd to make sets. so i go location hunting.. maybe that says im lazy and prefer the out-doors. but then again I'd love to work in a controlled enviroment alot more. but dont feel competant in the studio, and after more work their i may change my mind. photographers obviously have thier favourite subjects and as an ameteur stick to them, but for instance.. i always wanted to be a marine biologist, but i dont have the brain power to do it.. i worked hard at it.. but i just couldnt get my head around it all.. so next year im joining a web-dsign company..becuase i dont have the nessacery talent.. much i would love to make amzing wildlife photographs but lack the nessacery skills to do so. .. im sure their are many photographers who would love to take underwater photos (per say).. but insted photograph what evers easyist.. and closet to them.
    i dont think what party you vote says alot about you either.. although anyone who votes torrie should be best avoided.
    i photograph my girlfriend mostly... simply becuase i know her capbiltys so well i can make my pictures say exactly what i want.. not becuase its what my personalty dictates.. but becuase of the pressure of time and money. and not becuase people are my favourite..
    it all depends in what capacity you are working, where.. and what you find beauty in..on the notion of what we find most stimulating we could all be put in niches.. but that changes as you grow.. and personality dictates you have one and them same one for all your life.. so the two dont match. personality stays the same what you photograph through your life changes
    and very intersting topic!

www.angelfire.com/on/aroof

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Hi Raz, thanks for replying so thoughtfully to my post. You unearthed a very valid point about the distinction between professional and amateur photographers. A pro photographer has to conform to the limitations of what his client requires and is prepared to accept. Therefore his/her personality and the interpretation that his personality can place on his work HAS to kept within the bounds of what is commercially acceptable. The amateur on the other hand, has no constraints put upon him by commercial pressures and therefore has free rein to let his inner-self express itself through his work. Most of us amateurs are probably totally unaware of this fact and indeed may not see any connection between our personality and the type of work we produce. We may not like to think that we are “comfortable” with certain types of photography because our personality dictates it, but none the less, I believe it is an undeniable fact. Perhaps the old adage “Horses for courses” sums it up!

BigWill

4. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Just look at Robert Mapplethorpe's work if you need proof of the connection between the photographer and his pictures! Another one is Jan Saundek, but he manages to be very funny as well. Even Don McCullin's landscapes in Wiltshire look like war zones.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I agree with what has been posted here, but would remark that by trying different styles of photography you can actually learn something about yourself. Yes, I know this sounds like pretentious crap, but when I shot a few weddings (much against my better judgement!) I found to my surprise that I actually enjoyed it - and the results weren't bad (if somewhat cliched).
    Now as a jokey sort of bloke, I think I've always had it in mind to do a little project on disused industrial sites, using b&w, loads of contrast and grain etc.
    Another cliche, maybe, but something different for me...