1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Exeter Trial – Simms Hill (10<100kb)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by John_Baker, Jan 10, 2009.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Not been to one of these before, I believe the Motor Cycling Club has been doing the Exeter Trial since 1910! This year there were 568 bikes, sidecars and various other categories of vehicles.

While it was lacking some of the nasties of previous events, so it was dry, not too cold, many would say it was pleasant. The hill claimed many casualties, a particularly interesting moment was when a contestant snapped his prop shaft half way up the hill, a large 4x4 tractor was deployed to recover, which then got stuck and the poor thing did not have the grip or power to make it up the hill. Quite amazing considering the number of ancient MGs, VWs, Imps, Skodas,etc, which had all managed to slither their way up the thing!!

Managed to take just under 800 pics – first cull took that down to 146 of which 50 were something a bit special. A special thank you to Adrian Harris for posting the original link and showing me the ropes, this is a great event and well worth making the effort to visit.

1 – This old thing made me smile, photographs really do not do justice the gradient, this lightweight almost ended up in the fence...
    [​IMG]

2 – some were fun and had tyres pointing in all directions like this pre-war MG
    [​IMG]

3 – the passenger or “bouncer” has an interesting job, literally jumping up and down to increase the traction on the rear – I suppose it was one advantage to not having a roof.
    [​IMG]

4 – I do like big air and some managed it quite spectacularly
    [​IMG]

5 – old beetles seem to take it in their stride, that was if they could get on the right bit of track – most still made it!
    [​IMG]

6 – it was very popular, must have been near 300 spectators on this one hill
    [​IMG]

7 – another bouncer taking it seriously!
    [​IMG]

8 – some lightweight specials, this was later in the day, using slowsync flash
    [​IMG]

9 – another flash shot, amazed to see this guy only had one hand.
    [​IMG]

10 – this was what it was all about
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you want to see some anymore??

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Some excellent shots there. The look of fear on #07 is amusing :D

3. f0t0fan

f0t0fan Well-Known Member

Great shots John

Haven't been to one of these events since the 60's (that shows my age) and had forgotten how much fun they were. I'm surprised H&S haven't put a stop to them.

Yes please - let's see some more

Cheers

Ron D

4. 4BIKER2

4BIKER2 Well-Known Member

What great pictures, it looks like you had a great time there, :cool: and yes I would love to see some more :)

5. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Great set of pics John, bring em on... :)

6. John_Baker

You asked...

Go on then, a couple more...

11 - Marlin, lots of these made it look very easy
    [​IMG]

12 - MG
    [​IMG]

13 - Austin
    [​IMG]

14 - not sure what this was....
    [​IMG]

15 - Skoda
    [​IMG]

16 - Toyota
    [​IMG]

17 - something from Harry Potter...
    [​IMG]

18 - some vehicles had special devices to adjust the pressure in the tyres, many went up with them nearly flat
    [​IMG]

19 - some had bits missing, not sure when this lost its window, but possibly made it easier to see!!!
    [​IMG]

20 - I would have liked this a tad sharper - finally...
    [​IMG]

:D

7. AdrianHarris

AdrianHarris Well-Known Member

Re: You asked...

Hi John

Glad to see you have posted some up already - and what crackers they are too.

I particulary like No8 where you used slow sync flash. The rear part of the body of the blue car is clear and sharp, yet the wheels are spinning and the front of the car has 'up and down' motion blur, which makes the shot look very dynamic and dramatic.

It never occured to me until I was looking a these - but the drivers obviously cant see where there going half the time - but I suppose when the front's in the air it hardly matters - as they cant steer anyway!!!

yes it is surpring H&S hasn't stopped us all having fun.

Personally I was well prepared to take a risk by spectating :eek:)

I am not very enamoured with most of my photos (typical me), but have a few interesting ones, so will try and post some tomorrow.

You did a great job with the photos and I am glad you enjoyed it.

8. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Great shots John, these events are really fun! Number 14 is a special based on one of the Hillman/Singer Imp-type cars (badges missing so can't definitely say which model.)

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Great shots John. What a superb event to go to... Looks like a lot of fun. 8)

10. John_Baker

You will be surprised, I am sure you have some great images!! You always do, I look forward to seeing them...

There was some real ambiguity in some of these things – how about this one!!
    [​IMG]

Lots of special stuff – Buckler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some things you just knew were just not going to make it, how about these two, they looked like they were having serious fun and enjoying the whole thing – one of the many who ended up sliding/reversing back down...
    [​IMG]

Techno bit - all images taken 1DII plus my trusty 35-350L which had not been out for a while, no way I was going to change lenses at the event – Settings ISO 800, lens wide open, shutter speeds from 1/30” up to 1/800” - would have loved to have tried the 12-24 but would have needed to get even closer!

11. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Some really good shots there John. It looks like a great day out, I quite fancied it but forgot all about it, maybe next year.

12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Looks like you had a very enjoyable and productive day, John - cracking good pix. Well done!

13. John_Baker

Richard - I should have rung you, sorry about that, I was not expecting to get out, I was supposed to be clearing the kitchen, but ended up meeting Adrian at Trago and had a lift in. This is one of three “classic” runs, the others go to Lands End and Edinburgh. The Lands End looks interesting and take place at Easter (10/11 April this year), I fancy having a watch of the Blue Hills stretch! Could be fun - more details on the MCC site www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk

Thanks Mike, was something new to me, was a better day yesterday for spectators. Today was overcast and drizzly, would have made it more fun for the vehicles, but grime for the watchers.

14. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

Great shots John. Looks like a very entertaining day. :cool:

15. TheAllSeeingEye

TheAllSeeingEye Well-Known Member

A greta set, looked like it was a cracking day. How far were you from the cars?

16. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

No worries John, like I say I had forgotten and ended up busy doing other stuff.

17. John_Baker

Put it this way, when the chap broke his prop shaft I could have dropped my leg a couple of inches and put my foot on his bonnet, I suppose we were about 1 ft above the roadway – later we moved across to a nice space, we finally realised this was the place that many cars slide into…
    Here is a close encounter picture. :D :D :D

[​IMG]

18. John_Baker

Ani Gif

My first attempt at an animated Gif - not perfect but it gives you an idea of the event... AniGif 500kb - takes time to load...

19. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Re: Ani Gif

That's clever John. :)

20. John_Baker

Re: Ani Gif

Thanks Colin, I have tried it again on another sequence, OK so they are not quite 5D2 standard – this is the Austin 7 Sports – 12 images combined, I think I was working at slow speed so these were possibly 3 fps, but definitely not set for continuous shooting.
    Austin 7 - Ani Gif (large file 1.4mb)