1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Decisive Moment

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by RovingMike, Oct 23, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Following the interesting thread in Talking Pictures, I thought it might be fun to open a thread for people to explore what a Decisive Moment could look like and see if they are any different from what they used to be. Must say, my interpretation is something discontinuous happening, which is an instantaneous departure from the way things are normally progressing. Or has that changed too?

A quick few of mine to hand:

[​IMG]_A190356 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P4192129 mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P6070037 mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P5042470 mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    EightBitTony likes this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Very decisive in No 4....;)

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Haha! Is it a dog?? I do hope so.

ap dm 2.jpg

RovingMike and EightBitTony like this.
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Decisive moments clearly open for interpretation and I've never really done research or looked through any well known photographers. In general though, I'd agree and describe it as 'the point at which expected becomes unexpected'.

Some very early stuff here, in which the processing, focus and framing are all questionable.

[​IMG]Super Funny! by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]Jump! by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]Curiosity by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]Match Day Selfie with the Lads by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Dan S and RovingMike like this.
  5. EightBitTony

Dan S and RovingMike like this.
  6. RovingMike

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Today in Exeter...

D60_4296 Man on bench drinking from Can Heavitree Rd.JPG

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Learning and Catriona like this.
  9. RovingMike

10. Catriona

Fair enough.

11. RovingMike

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The similarity between image top left and the woman and her cup is uncanny.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

That's what I thought. We were waiting at a bus stop for a coach (Pitlochry). I just saw this girl drinking and spotted the painted window and so I snapped it.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Exeter bus queue...

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1230898.jpg

15. Andrew Flannigan

What?!

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1220056.JPG

16. Catriona

Good one!
    Our favourite Weather man (Coastguard) and who has done our local weather forecasting for years now, is moving to Exeter and the Met Office soon. So if you ever see a walker/runner plodding on in all weathers, just yell out are you Richard? He's a nice bloke. :)
    PS He's also a fanatical storm chaser and visits the USA annually to chase tornados.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  17. EightBitTony

Wish you hadn't deleted the post (I assume that's what's happened) before I had a chance to see them.

Catriona likes this.
  18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it could be deleted - I think it was in position #7 - you usually don't have much time to kill a post.

I must admit that I'm still rather unsure at what divides a decisive moment from a well-observed moment. Is it the duration of the moment? If a juxtaposition lasts several seconds does that cease to be decisive? It can't just be duration alone else all action photography would be decisive rather than being mostly boring. I can understand "missing a moment". With bird photography this happens all the time as they don't stand still but is a succesful photo of say a small active bird (without using fast burst) decisive? Or is it all about people? I don't take deliberate pictures of strangers, only family, and if it's the kids (now grand kids) running about I'd say there are pictures that work and pictures that don't, in the same way as I class bird shots. Success does relate to timing (because they are moving) in one respect but I'd struggle to say if something was decisive rather than a pleasing capture of something dynamic.

Memory says the pictures in the deleted post were well observed situations that would not have lasted long but were not fleeting.

19. Catriona

20. RovingMike

The point of the post was to explore what DMs were or could be. So deleting any that might cause debate and raise questions is rather defeating the object. Ah well....