1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Cyprus Question, Turkey, and the Levant.....where now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KeithLeslie, Nov 13, 2014.

1. KeithLeslie

KeithLeslie Well-Known Member

Turkey seems to be isolating itself form the real world. It is very hard to understand the logic of its current administration - an administration that seems hell-bent on alienating allies, as well as its neighbours. And now oil has entered into the equation!

http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist/cengiz-aktar/critical-confrontation-in-cyprus_364155.html

With all this going on, the eye of the West is being taken off the ball in the Ukraine, and Russia we're told is continuing its military build up ready to occupy large swathes of Ukraine in defiance of the West. Are we seeing the preparatory steps towards a third world war?

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Probably not. But who can tell?

Cheers,

R.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Turkey has always faced internal pressure around its overtures to the EU and the growing influence of hard line moslems has been a major reason they have been kept in the pending tray. Large swathes of the country are still very traditionalist and have come more and more under the influence of what is going on around them, so the government has been pulled more and more to the right to appease them.
    They are suffering from their unenviable position between east and west.

But on Ukraine, I really have no idea why the principle we have applied in Falklands, Gib, even N Ireland for that matter, that whoever the majority want to be part of, they should have the right, is not applied. If it was something nice and benign like Canada that the E Ukrainians wanted to cuddle up with, we'd be more than happy to support their cause. Slovakia didn't want to be Czech anymore. Pakistan was allowed to split from India, then Bangladesh from that. Moldova was allowed to split from Romania for their pro Russian leanings, so not sure why we don't let the E Ukies become Russkies. Serves them right. It is a socking big place, so can live with partition.

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

We already have War, Famine and Pestilence... Just need the forth rider...

[​IMG]

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

No. We're two short. We'll need Ronnie Soak as well.

[​IMG]

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Mort?

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

And Binky.

S

8. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

The Fourth Plinth Shirley?

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Tony Blair is missing from the line up , so no war yet.

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

But he isn't a horesman, he rides a chariot. Shouldn't he be called Ernie?

11. Sejanus.Aelianus

I believe he may have tried that but didn't get on too well with the local baker.

:cool:

12. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Bollox to all this. What about my holiday to Cyprus? It's booked now. I don't want to cancel it but I don't want to end up on the internet in a beheading vid either.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Just stuff your head in a plastic bag filled with ice and they should be able to sew it back on.

14. willie45

[HR][/HR]
    Thanks for the advice, Mike. It isn't quite the reassurance I was hoping for mind you ;)

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Don't take an axe, then.

S

16. willie45

I was always under the impression they were supplied

17. KeithLeslie

KeithLeslie Well-Known Member

Apart from all this levity, people who live in N Cyprus (TRNC), like my friend out there, are getting very worried for their future. He bought an Ottoman title house, which should have been fine. When you buy a house there, you have to wait a year for the title deeds in case anyone objects to you owning it; in that time, the government changed the rules and made it so that Ottoman title houses can only be sold to a Turkish Cypriot or a Turk. So now he has an expensive house that is worth very little - and he is stuck there. And he isn't alone in that predicament. And the Greek Cypriots are still sabre-rattling. The Gk Cypriot secret police monitor Foreigners who buy property in TRNC; if they already live in the south, they get seriously grilled - intimidated - by the Gk Cyps, like one of his friends, a British woman living alone, who is over 70. She was tailed, and interrogated for over 5 hours by Gk Cyp secret police when she started to move from the Gk side to the TRNC. and now all this Islamist trouble.

All in all, I wouldn't want to be living in either part of Cyprus now.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I think the Turks used to use a Scimitar, not an axe. Maybe that's an old Ottoman empire myth? As for ISIS, hasn't that mess arisen due to Ataturk, kicking out Caliph Abdülmecid II, in 1924, who was for all intents and purposes the 'Head' of the Islamic Sunnis throughout what was the Ottoman empire. When he died in the 1940s, no-one has been accepted as his successor.

The Ottoman empire was indeed vast, as can be seen from the map below:

[​IMG]

There are factions within the faith who want the re-instatement of a Caliph, but as usual, each faction (and especially the more militant Islamists) are disputing whom this person should be. Until the far more numerous moderates, get round to sorting this issue out, we are likely to see things rumble on for maybe decades.

19. Sejanus.Aelianus

All in all, I'd rather not live where there's any religious lunatics and it seems to me that you can tell the religious non-loonies by the way they can poke fun at themselves. Those who can't, really need to be avoided.

We have some Quaker friends who typify the first sort. One of their stories is about a Catholic Priest, a Protestant Vicar and a Quaker Recorded Minister. These three worthies were walking along a tow path, holding a "warm" discussion about the devil, when that worthy suddenly appeared in front of them.

The priest holds out his crucifix in a trembling hand and croaks "Begone foul fiend".

The vicar squeals "he's real!" and dives into the canal.

The minister stands still for a moment, nods to himself and walks towards the apparition with his hand out. "Welcome to our town." says the minister, "You're just in time for our barbecue and we could really do with someone who knows how to handle a fire."

[​IMG]

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha! Obviously wasn't 'Quaking' in his shoes .... That's the best one I've heard for some time!