1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

The Classic Camera

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Mar 9, 2021.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

In Pied Bull Yard.

Anyone used them? Any comments?

S

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I contacted them about some S/H Leica kit and they seemed rather expensive. That was several years ago, so much may have changed.

3. steveandthedogs

I seem to remember they were a touch pricey, but they have a couple of lenses which seem very reasonable.

S

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've been in a few times, last time pretty much exactly a year ago. They sometimes have some very interesting stuff, but not in my price range.

5. steveandthedogs

That's why I'm asking - the lenses are Elmars and less than £200, elsewhere they are around £250.

S

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Presumably you haven't seen them first hand due to the lockdown ?
    have you contacted them to find out what condition they are in and if everything moves freely ?
    It sounds like they might have priced them to reflect their condition .

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Never dealt with them, but do they offer free returns and a warranty on used goods?

8. steveandthedogs

Go to London?! Good god, even going to Bangor is a major event.

Tried to ring them today, no answer. Will try again tomorrow. Odd thing is their website said something about no way of paying due to which country I'm in. Hmmm.
    Condition down as one is excellent, the other excellent ++

S

9. steveandthedogs

Think so, will have to check again.

S

ps I did actually look at the terms and conditions for once!

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yes, but didn't you have a lovely time?

No.no, I didn't even take my coat off.

ETA - off on a Google adventure - they turned into Oysterband? Whale Oil Beef Hooked!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

They do not seem to offer a warranty but allow returns within 14 days with you paying the cost of return. Not the best but for £200 may be worth a punt.

Looking at the pictures on the website I would not describe it as excellent.

12. steveandthedogs

My thoughts as well, why I'm a bit reluctant to dive in.
    Tempted to wait for ffordes to get something in. Last time I bought a lens from them, they were a bit downbeat about it. Looks perfect to me.

S

13. steveandthedogs

In BANGOR?!!!

Evidently they wanted to write it about Rhyl, but couldn't get it to rhyme. Or even grime, when it comes to Rhyl.

S

14. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Well I can't fault you for not going to London , even if you lived near London .
    The only time I go into Manchester is if in going to LCE to get a lens or camera and I'm swapping it for some unused gear .
    I hate going into town , and only as a last resort !

I've bought a lot of gear from Fforddes .
    Everything I've had was as described , the only time I've had issue is on one lens where the image quality was lower than expected ( I had one in another mount so knew how it should perform , a quick phone call and they were happy to take the lens back ) , and when a box of film they sent me was out of (just) date .
    They sent a fresh box and let me keep the old stuff .

You can't fault them for trusting their mail order service .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    steveandthedogs likes this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I really miss my trips to London - normally the wife goes for business 2 or 3 times a year, I go for a wander around camera shops and taking photos, and we meet in the pub at 4 pm before a late train back. Ditto Manchester, although that's normally only once a year. Sometimes we stay over in either place. Wouldn't want to live or work in either city, but I do enjoy visiting.

Some years back, I bought some Rollei 35mm camera from them with a 50mm f1.4 Planar. They rang me to say there was a tiny bit of fungus in it, they were having the lens professionally cleaned and they would refund me the value of the lens, and I could either have it or not, but if I did, I would have to wait an extra week for it to come back from repair. I opted to wait, and have the lens, and camera and lens turned up 3 days later. I could not spot any trace of cleaning or fungus.

neilt3 likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've done very well with Ffordes. Everything I've bought from them has been much better than expected.

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Excellent with photographic equipment means pretty rough!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. steveandthedogs

I have been wondering about that and have come to the conclusion that I'll wait for ffordes - surely the only company to do down their own goods!

S