1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The all-new Brexit thread!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Oct 17, 2020.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Do you really think this gov will continue with the MM cheques at a sensible level?

S

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The rights were not given away, they were sold.
    If you buy a car off someone, who later realises he needs it back and demands it, you would naturally expect to get your money back in exchange.

Why should the EU want to compromise? The UK wants to leave, not vice-versa.

S

AGW and Catriona like this.
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Not so much 'all new' as 'recycled'?

I don't believe that Boris and his 'advisor' ever really wanted a negotiated deal, but would have grudgingly accepted one if they got everything they wanted. I'm waiting for the modern version of the 'we shall fight them on the beaches' speech early next year.

Any Conservative party members with a lot of money will have already moved it somewhere else during the last few months, leaving the less well off to suffer a loss of jobs, prospects and a devaluation of their pension fund (mine's down about 30% since January).

Mark101 and steveandthedogs like this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We import more food than we export. British agriculture should be fine. We may well have to change the balance of our diet a bit. Food prices are likely to rise.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

That is quite incorrect.

We sold our quotas, not our rights. Up to the end of 1971 we refused to agree to the Common Fisheries Policy in force at the time. However, on 22 January 1972 we signed the Accession Treaty, having conceded to the EC on the fishing issue at the beginning of January, and thereby handed control of our fishing stocks and quotas over to the European Community as a condition of our membership. In no way will Brexit affect the quotas that have been sold, and such arrangements will stay in force until renewal falls due.

daft_biker and Learning like this.
  6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Boris, his ERG chums and his off-shore financial backers all planned a no deal. As they have lied towards this outcome, they have invested in short selling the UK. They stand to make a fortune on the back of the collapse of the UK economy. A 100% windfall tax on any proffits made in short selling deals would rapidly bring about change in direction and a deal would be sorted out in short order.

Graeme

7. Learning

Typical leftist propaganda.

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Which is why the 'government' adamantly refuses to include present food standards in their new agriculture law since these would be unacceptably high for the americans and every other country wanting to dump cheap, poor quality food on us.................

9. Learning

Don't let them do it.
    It would help your argument if you presented serious well reasoned arguments instead of a load of partisan Corbynestrian bovin scat.

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Or employed by them. I for example do work for UCLH but am actually employed by a private company called HSL. There are a lot of pathology departments where the NHS has outsourced the work to a private company

11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Fact in the case of Rees Morgan....

12. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

The subsidies they used to get. But then again, French farms are more like our little Welsh Hill Farms than the corporate concerns running much of our farming.

Fish is a big deal because we as a nation eat very little fish , unless of course it's covered in batter or crappy breadcrumbs. Therefore much of it is sold off to other EU countries and will continue to do so , regardless of who holds the rights.

My early years were devoted to import/export and I thought we had seen the last of endless reams of C10 and C275 paperwork. Some of these bloody forms would take hours to prepare with endless breakdowns of paperwork and working out sheets. But oh now, here we go again with endless delays of goods, inspections and massive increases in cost, paperwork and tempers no doubt. Wake me when either the nightmare is over or my Italian passport arrives.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Forms were often in 10 part NCR sets. that needed to be filled out by hand.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

:eek: ! !

We had 4-part sets and I had to carry a piece of steel plate that I half-inched from the workshop, to fill them in on site.

15. Learning

The forms have probably been replaced by spreadsheets (Lotus 123).

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Can just see the printers rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of more business.

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The Scottish website has not published the figures for the last 24 hours. We're doomed!

18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Someone lost count and had to start from the beginning again.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Would not surprise me. It has been grim.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Business wants a deal. Would that be dodgy business, funny business or monkey business

steveandthedogs and John Farrell like this.