1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That was somewhat underwhelming

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by IvorETower, Oct 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

All the hype over today's announcement only for no new gear to be revealed.
    Hopefully model naming will be simplified but an OM System PEN doesn't sound as enticing as an Olympus PEN

2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Almost as uninspiring as the Panasonic announcement today.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

In the late 1970s I owned a second hand Olympus half frame. It was the most basic model, called the PEN-S, and at at the time portable items used outside the house had to be itemised on my household insurance policy. The Eagle Star policy schedule recorded it as an 'Olympus Penis', but somebody offered me £10 for it (£4 profit!) and I removed from the policy. If it had been damaged or stolen, a claim might have been interesting.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

When I saw a new thread with the title "That was somewhat underwhelming", I clicked on it - fully expecting to engage in a good grumble about the budget. :)

I had forgotten that this is a photography forum. ;)

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

What budget?

peterba likes this.
  6. IvorETower

Is this sub-forum going to have to be re-named "OM System Chat (formerly Olympus chat)"or similar ??

peterba likes this.
  7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

The Web Master is out of the country and lost forever me thinks - No Chance :p

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Apologies if my post (temporarily, I hope) de-railed your thread! :oops:

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I agree, a big load of nothing. But I got impression it was Olympus OM System? Did Oly die?

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, Olympus has sold its camera division, basically, hence the need to change names.

11. IvorETower

I think that Olympus (corporate) want the name "Olympus" to disappear from the photographic products... that there are many millions of existing cameras and lenses branded "Olympus" seems irrelevant.
    It's all a bit daft IMHO, for example you could look at Volvo cars, sold to Ford then Geely but the trucks and buses are still owned and manufactured by the Volvo company based in Sweden, They never forced Ford or Geely to rebrand them and remove the name "Volvo" from them

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That is probably because the sale, to Ford, included rights to use the name, likewise the further sale to Geely. The Saab name was part of the package sold to GM, etc. only later was the right to use the name discontinued. In both cases the original owners exited the manufacturing of cars with the sale. It is likely that Olympus, who remain an optical company, did not license the rights to use the name when they sold their imaging division. Thus the new owners have to re-brand their products.

13. IvorETower

Yes, but why?
    Are they thinking that OMDS may bring the name into disrepute? Any positive opinion of Olympus from their photographic products would only help the "original" Olympus company after the sell-off, surely?

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Olympus couldn't make a profit from the imaging division, if the new owner also fails in this respect they won't want an Olympus branded company to appear in the media as having failed. It is called protecting the brand.

Learning likes this.