1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

That was lucky

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I live around 30 miles as the crow flies from Sizewell. If that goes up I won't know a lot about it!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sympathiser, not member.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

This thread got me thinking which world leaders have access to nuclear weapons.

You have the nutters:

Donald Trump
    Vladimir Putin
    Boris Johnson
    Kim Jong-un

India and Pakistan who are likely to throw them at each other.

Israel who would happily chuck them at any of their neighbours.

Xi Jinping, who a number of the nutters are hell bent on pissing off.

Emmanuel Macron.

Sleep well.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that you would. It is surprisingly difficult to get a critical mass to go off with a good bang. The device tends to destroy itself without enough fissile material 'going off'. Instead of a Nagasaki or Hiroshima type explosion the tendency is to get a soft explosion like Chernobyl. You would survive a Sizewell event very well. Initially, that is. If you were downwind at the time of the incident then you might meet a fairly nasty and slow end.
    Who would go first? They would need to believe that they could win. Only one nation has a proven track record of using nuclear weapons, and at the time they were certain that no-one else had them. MAD does have a logic.

Craig20264 likes this.
  5. Learning

I do not understand how anyone, especially Craig, could 'like' my previous post. 'Agree' , maybe. I was just stating what I believe are the unpleasant facts.

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I was merely liking the factual information supplied by yourself, which if correct, has enriched my knowledge of nuclear blasts. Knowledge is the bomb, as they say. No pun intended, just for clarity.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

We managed to be affected by Chernobyl which was just before we arrived on the Island. For quite a few years, some sheep had special marks meaning not for sale! We often wondered if the fairly high incidence of cancers here can be attributed to that fallout.

8. Learning

I guessed that it might have been the case. There are many times when I have agreed with something someone has written but have thought how can I like that. We might do with a button that records 'I agree'.
    That's difficult. In some parts of Scotland there are fairly shallow deposits of granite. Just like South Western England, they are associated with natural emissions of the radio active gas radon..
    This is perfectly safe when people only last long enough to help raise their grandchildren. With increased lifespan it becomes relevant. (Not fact but reasonable extrapolation of fact, maybe.) Also given that you are about the same generation as me, could you be thinking about an incident a bit closer to home. Why is Sellafield called Sellafield? Why did it change name?
    On a slightly different tack. The Beirut government is criticised for having a few meagre tons of ammonium nitrate stored on the quayside. How much plutonium do we have stored up on the edge of the Lake District in decaying conditions? I don't want to give the lefties ammunition, but there is a case to be answered. This stuff could be used up in mixed oxide reactors. We don't need it for bombs do we? Well I hope not.

Catriona likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Sellafield never changed its name. Windscale and Calder Hall are parts of the Sellafield site.

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No, it was Chernobyl in 1986. The drift affected the Western Isles.
    Sellafield (Windscale) was 1957. I guess that had an effect too, although at that time I was over on the east coast in Aberdeenshire. I often think about my time on my friend's farm though in the late 40s and early 50s and what exactly was used on crops and weeds. Of course we all had the milk and milk products straight from the farm in those days too.
    Still, I survived. Funny how so many of my classmates didn't have kids though...

11. Learning

You are correct. The public perception is otherwise.Windscale blew up very gently, really only getting a bit overheated, depositing waste, over a wide area. The name Windscale was not to be used. It had gained a bad reputation.

Catriona likes this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Around 500 tons worldwide. No idea how much we have.