1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

That was lucky

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Aug 4, 2020.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is dangerous stuff. No need to invoke other fuels. The last big one I remember was in Toulouse - I'm surprised to find it was in 2001 - how time flies as you get older. That was 200 tonnes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toulouse_chemical_factory_explosion

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That's about it - and when we have oxides together with a fuel source, shit happens. Everything else is a chain reaction.

Learning likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's fair to say the port of Beirut is going to be out of action for a while. (image from BBC website)

452bcca8-1edf-44fe-b5e4-051c3835dc3f.jpg

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Holy sh*t! How many tons of grain is that gone to waste?

(apart from anything else - it's just that the colour of the grain spilling from the silos caught my eye)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We were going to visit Beirut this year if it hadn't been for COVID. No doubt my cousin will have moved on to a new area by the time it's ready for visitors again.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Nitrates are powerful oxidising agents, and ammonia is flammable, so it is it's own built in bomb.
    2750 tonnes of the stuff is not far off the power of a small atomic bomb, putting that in a built up area is of itself culpable.

Learning likes this.
  7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm sure I read 50,000 tonnes. More importantly, looking at the map of the scene, those silos probably protected downtown Beirut (in the background of that photo) from the worst of the blast. My eyes were drawn to the half a cargo ship left high and dry.

8. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Beeb news says it was a tenth of the power of the Hiroshima bomb.

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yep, sounds about right 1.5kt. There are sub kiloton yield "battlefield" nukes.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Any likes from me on this thread are likes of agreement.

11. Learning

This could have been worse. Look at the brown fumes. With fuel to be oxidised far worse.
    I hope we don't have kiloton piles of this stuff in Britain.
    The last big explosion in Britain I think was Flixborough. A different chemical and reaction and a good half mile or more from habitation.
    Terrorism is not the only cause of fatal explosions.

12. PeteRob

Buncefield, in 2005.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The plume from Buncefield was visible from London.

Before anyone jumps on me, I know there's a difference between setting off 1500 tonnes of TNT and a 1.5kt nuke. Heat flash and gamma for two.

14. Learning

I suppose that our natural gas terminals are a risk.

15. PeteRob

Don’t lose any sleep over it. The major risk event (one with highest likelihood ) is not a gas terminal incident. It is someone putting a JCB back-hoe into a gas pipeline.

16. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

Too Close for comfort especially in the northwest of England could be done very easily or worse

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Spare a thought for those of us (not me, thankfully, but it'd still feck things up royally) who live in proximity to Faslane, ever in fear of things going pear/mushroom shaped...

Catriona likes this.
  18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I grew up near Greenham Common. Close enough for the B-47 Stratojets to rattle the crockery on take off (before I was born) and close enough to know that in the event of nuclear war with the Soviets, I wouldn't have needed to worry about the fallout.

Zou likes this.
  19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I policed a few of those protests and missile movements back in the day.

20. Learning

Are you CND? I would not be surprised,