1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

That was lucky

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Aug 4, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have mentioned before that my cousin works for the FCO in Beirut. I have just heard that she is OK, but 30 mins before the blast she cancelled an exercise spin class that would have been 100m from the blast site. All she suffered was broken windows in her apartment. Lucky woman.

It was one hell of an explosion.

beatnik69, neilt3, AndyTake2 and 7 others like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It was a horrific blast wasn't it? Glad she is OK.

dream_police likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Very lucky. BBC news just broadcast video of the event but the footage is not on their website yet. That is focussing on the aftermath.

4. dream_police

So am I.

Yeah, bloody huge. An explosive store or something.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It could happen here.

6. dream_police

It could do, but it didn't today.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

From what I heard it started in a fireworks factory, which set fire to a benzine storage place next door.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Got to love town planning approvals. :confused:

9. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Good to hear that she's ok.

dream_police likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Bloody nora, just seen the footage. Fortunate indeed.

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You can tell it’s a pretty violent explosion from the mushroom cloud!
    Glad she’s ok

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  12. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

CNN's corespondent in the city reported that it felt like an earthquake.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That was one seriously large explosion. The blast wave was gobsmacking.
    Assuming it was something like SXH said, people really need their heads clanging together.
    I used to live in Kings Lynn, where Fison used to have a fertiliser factory.
    The two buildings that housed the ingredients were big F#*k off concrete structures, sunk into the ground with tapered concrete blast walls, away from anywhere. I would think that anyone dealing with fireworks should have something similar, so anyone who doesn't is utterly mad.

neilt3 likes this.
  14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Mind-boggling! Quite a few years ago, beside the A329 (Berkshire Way) and the railway line was a British Oxegen depot which eventually was closed. God only knows what could have happened if something had happened there.

15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

There's a tweet about a ship carrying 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate, which was detained in Beirut in 2013, and the cargo unloaded.

amnit.JPG

16. AndyTake2

Seen news reports that seem to confirm this.
    2750 tons of ammonium nitrate?
    I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the damn stuff - a bit of oxygen and heat and, well, the result is plain to see:(

17. Learning

I wasn't aware that it was explosive by itself. It wouldn't need oxygen; it is an oxidising agent. I wonder if someone had been soaking it in diesel.

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Perhaps the first explosion ruptured a nearby diesel tank?

19. AndyTake2

Just gets unstable and breaks down - oxygen would feed it, but you are quite right that it wouldn't need extra oxygen. It is effectively an all-in-one fuel by itself. It is used to make fertiliser bombs all over the world, and just requires a heat source and a bit of air to get things going, together with a bit of fuel (sugar is a favourite with bomb makers) to kick things off.

...From Quora:
    Decomposition creates toxic gases containing ammonia and nitrogen oxides. ... As the temperature rises, the rate of decomposition increases. In a confined space, the pressure can reach dangerous levels and cause an explosion that will include the detonation of the ammonium nitrate.

20. Learning

So the decomposition of the ammonium nitrate itself causes huge expansion of ammonia gas and oxides of nitrogen and heat. The heat then causes further decomposition. Further reactions between the ammonia and nitrogen oxides produce steam and nitrogen in huge volume. Adding fuel like diesel would just increase the explosive effect.