1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Testing a Sigma 400mm 5.6 lens

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, May 4, 2008.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

After much searching I finally found a Sigma 400mm f5.6 macro lens. I've been after one of these for a long while but they're like hen's teeth and particularly so in the the mount I wanted (Minolta AF). Anyway I finally got one in immaculate condition and still in it's original box. Here is a test photo (full frame) taken hand-held from about 15 yards 1/300th at 5.6 (wide open) ISO400.

[​IMG]

... and here is 100% crop portion

[​IMG]

2. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Hi Rog – nice find, it is great when you can finally get what you want. These are both looking a little light on my monitor, but you can really see the quality coming through, there is excellent detail in the second enlargement – you are going to have some fun!!! I look forward to seeing some more of these... :D

3. Overread

Overread Well-Known Member

^^ I agree with John - a little overbright but superb detail - another hoping to see more!

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

.. yes does look a bit on the light side, here's a dark version ... :)

[​IMG]

5. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Good pics Rog.

What's the advantage/disadvantage with this over the Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3 APO lens?

6. Overread

Overread Well-Known Member

Well firstly the 400mm is a prime as opposed to the 170-500 which is a telezoom. When you get a telezoom is a compramise, the zoom will cover a range of focal lengths and something like the sigma you state or the canon 100-400 allow a person to have a single lens for almost any shot -you just twist or push the lens into hte right length for the shot. The down side is the to accomodate this the telezoom has to have more glass inside it to allow it to have the ranges, hence there is more glass between the subject and the sensor - hence when you compare a prime to a telezoom at the range of the prime (when the 2 lenses are of a similar build quality) the prime will give better results than the telezoom. (less glass less between the subject and the sensor)

7. datawise

datawise Well-Known Member

Looks like a great lens! I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with that...

Peter

8. lozzy

lozzy Member

hi,great close up love how you captured the bird looking straight ahead, hopefully getting some of my bird on here soon
    lozzy, ;)

9. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have the non macro version of this lens and it too gives great results.

[​IMG]

10. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I too have the non macro version and was really pleased with this. I'd go as far to say that I prefer it to my 170-500mm.

[​IMG]

11. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Is/was this available in a Pentax fit?