1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Tempus Fugit (8 at <100kb)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by John_Baker, Jan 20, 2007.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

My first attempt in the Exhibition Lounge. I was looking for something to try under my new 180mm Tamron macro lens, when I was around with a colleague I had a go at taking a couple of pictures of some of his extensive watch collection – the hardest part was reducing the choice down to 8. I have a couple more Pics in reserve...

1 -Breitling Navitimer 806 - date 1960's
    4th Generation of this famous watch with double plane logo.
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f32 1/15” ISO 200 Exposure Compensation -0.67EV
    [​IMG]

2 - Breitling Navitimer – Internal - Venus 178 movement
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f32 2” ISO 200 Exposure Compensation -3EV
    [​IMG]

3 - Angelus Chronodato Triple Date Chronograph
    Angelus was one of only a few Companies that made their own Chronograph movements during the 1940s and 1950's. This unique Dial Configuration is found on no other watch.
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f32 15” ISO 200 Exposure Compensation -0.67EV
    [​IMG]

4 - Angelus Chronodato – Internal - Caliber 215
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f4.5 1/60” ISO 200 Bounce flash through Lightsphere II
    [​IMG]

5 - Mido – Bumper Watch – date 1940’s
    Modern automatic watches have a rotor that rotates bi-directionally through 360°. On earlier designs the rotor had a limited movement of about 260° limited by bumper springs. The bumper mechanism was less efficient at winding the watch; - hence the later improvements.
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f32 20” ISO 200 Exposure Compensation -0.67EV
    [​IMG]

6 - Gruen – Veri Thin Flip Top– date 1940’s
    Gruen was a Swiss manufacturer who's main market was the USA. This rare item has a hinged gold cover which is released by touching a small latch. Very few of these watches survive as the delicate hinge was easily destroyed.
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f11 1/60” ISO 200 Bounce flash through Lightsphere II
    [​IMG]

7 - Le Coultre Watch – date 1940’s
    Very high quality movement and finish. The Le Coultre was made by the Swiss Jaeger LeCoultre brand. The mechanisms were imported to the USA and the case added by the US distributor.
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f11 1/60” ISO 200 Bounce flash through Lightsphere II
    [​IMG]

8 - Universal Geneve Tri-Compax Moonphase Calendar Caliber 287 – date 1940’s
    This one is a bit special! Dial Signed Universal Geneve Tri-Compax. 3:00 Register Counts to 30 Minutes, 6:00 Register Counts to 12 Hours. 9:00 Register is Constant Seconds. Day and Month Windows. Date Register with Red Date Hand Pointer from 1-31 at 12:00. Moonphase inside Date Register.
    1D Mk II – 180mm Tamron at f7.1 1/60” ISO 200 Bounce flash through Lightsphere II
    [​IMG]

2. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Wow , What a set of shots - great choice of colour background, what a lens.
    Dragonflies watch out :)

3. John_Baker

Another picture of the Flip Top Gruen

Thanks Colin I was getting a bit desperate to find something to point the lens at – must admit I am really rather pleased with these. Most of the above are getting on for 60 plus years old; unfortunately they did not really stand up to the full 1:1 treatment - too much dust, rust, spots and blemishes, I just hope I look that good when I get that old.
    [​IMG]

4. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Like number 4. :D
    I used to live in Switzerland and I did treat myself to an Oris chronograph (didn't tell the missus how much I paid for it). It was made about 10 miles from where I lived and I went past the factory quite often. Many of the independent manufacturers have shut down, others bought up and some turned there skills to instrument making. Quite sad.
    But I think the remaining, quality, independent watch factories (such as Oris) are doing quite well again now.

5. John_Baker

There is quite a renaissance in mechanical watches while most are now working collaboratively e.g. Swatch Group owns: Blancpain, Breguet, Omega, Tissot, plus a whole host more. While a small number remain independent such as Patek Philippe and Breitling. The Oris brand goes back to 1904 and continues today, I think they currently part sponsor Williams F1. I have mainly shown old watches as the new ones are rather boring inside, most of the good stuff is obscured by the large rota. Here is another close up of the manual wind Le Coultre .
    [​IMG]

6. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Interesting photos, fascinating thing clockwork, all those tiny cogs that go on and on for year after year. I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional that I bought new in 1972. It still sits on my wrist ticking away, but my hearing has gone off a bit and I can no longer hear it!

David.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

You've just saved my boring watches from a gruesome fate :D

These are nice pics that need a good long look (well they did for me anyway ;))

8. John_Baker

Hi Andy they are quite fun, I learnt a lot from the exercise. Did I see some of your work on a Digi camera? I would be interested to hear how that went and how you felt it compared to your usual film experience.

I must admit I am very impressed with the pictures from the lens and I am really looking forward to doing some critters once the weather starts to warm up a bit. I did go silly with some of them, so full 1:1 plus adding 3 extension tubes (36mm, 20mm and 12mm tubes so a total of 68mm extension), so god knows how big it was – this is what that combination produces, a very close up of an old Hamilton pocket watch...
    [​IMG]

9. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Very nice, and that the lens are worth a look...

Thanks for showing it's potentials, and well done for such superb photography.

10. bench_ubbster

A work of art! What sort of lighting did you use?

11. John_Baker

Picking up a couple of points…

David the Omega Speedmaster is another great classic, beautiful lines and design that has been around for years (1950's I believe)– the original NASA space watch.

Chub – the lighting was a real mixed bag. I started using available light, which was fine but I then had some really long exposures especially when working at f32 – after a while I had to close the curtains due to the sun causing major hot spots. The curtains were golden colour which produced some interesting casts (thank god for shooting RAW). Later I tried bounce flash first with a naked head, later with a Lightsphere attached – After the event in summary I had success with each of the different sorts of lights, but some watches did not seem to work well with specific light sources, while they looked great under others. In general the available light worked the best for most things.

I think I may invest in a small light tent, I saw one over at 7 Day Shop for under £20 which would have really helped. RAW was the real saviour of the day as it allowed me to correct many of the anomalies.

Another one, this time a Girard Perregaux a real classic, a quality watch from the 1940’s – I was trying to get a side shot looking into the mechanism.
    [​IMG]

12. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, I bought mine in 1972, it was chosen by NASA for the Appollo space missions because it was the only watch they found that could stand the extreme temperature changes from shadow to sunlight on the surface of the Moon. Fortunately, mine has had less of an ordeal. It is a classic watch and is still on sale today, but with a much inflated price tag. I would love to see the inside, but it is factory sealed to retain the waterproofing.

David.

13. bench_ubbster

Not only are they beautiful to look at, but a sound investment too. :) I'm sure my Oris will be ticking away long after my ticker has given in. No batteries or winding either. I think that was another reason why they are still chosen by NASA and the like as they don't give off any radiation (apart from the luminous dials :rolleyes: )

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Plenty nice machining marks and scratches on that last one...number 4 was also one of my favorites as the marks appear to be the grain of the metal??? I've tried photographing machining and wear marks on bike bits but without much success so far.

I'll jot down my thoughts about my recent digtal experiences and make a post in the Canon forum in a bit (I just got the pics from the 5D back from the 'lab' :) ). You can tell me how honest you think I'm being with myself there ;)

15. John_Baker

I know what you mean by the sound investment – I think the Breitling Navitimer (pic 1 & 2) was bought for around £850 – current eBay price should be around the £1,200 price point, not bad for a nearly 50 year old. The Navitimers were very popular with the US pilots in Vietnam, partly due to the circular slide rule built into the bezel. Nice watches are not just fun to own, great to look at and use - buy the right one and they will appreciate over time.

Andy I look forward to your report with interest...

Yet another, this time more recent a Dubey and Schaldenbrand - quite rare with moonphase, chrono plus date function - £2k ish...
    [​IMG]