1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Telephoto Lens Tests ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Dave, Mar 18, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave Member

Hi,

How about seeing a SUPER Telephoto Lens test in AP ? and also comparing SUPER to NORMAL with Telextenders ?

I use a Sigma 170-500 f5.6 for wildlife and bird photography, and find this quite a good lense. Cost wise it doesn't really brake the bank either, but would like to extend the overal focal length to around 700mm. In the past 6 months I haven't seen any magazines having reviews of 500mm with or without telextenders.

Agreeable that most of the lenses would be out of the price range for a lot of low end amateurs, but for the high end amateurs with some extra money to spend or the enthusiast this would be a good idea. Something along the lines of:-

300mm-500mm without telextender
    300mm-500mm with telextender
    500mm-1000mm without telextender
    500mm-1000mm with telextender

Not only showing the reviews of say focal lenses above, but also showing comparable pictures with and without telextenders. This would give readers a great comparison!

Dave Burrows
    http://www.daveburrows.com

2. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I like this idea. Also some of the lower end zooms could be included in such a comparison, such as 100-400, some of the more affordable zooms. And how using a telextender on these lenses [28-200 for example] to obtain similar results as seen with the larger lenses previously mentioned.

3. Dave

Dave Member

Yeah, or perhaps even a comparison of Telextenders out there. i.e. 4 element vs 7 element ?

What do you say AP ?

Dave Burrows
    http://www.daveburrows.com