1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technically the end of PhotoEcosse

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Mar 31, 2017.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Today is the day I emigrate from Scotland.

For the past 72¼ years I have lived within 25 miles of the Edinburgh street where I was born. Today I move to foreign parts and take up residence in the Deep South county of North Yorkshire.

It seems that a great adventure is about to begin.

I suppose that I should really change my forum name from PhotoEcosse to something naff like "Yorkie" but I have really become rather attached to it.

dream_police likes this.
  2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Can I check your passport please ?

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Err Scottish people are always welcome in England.......enjoy!

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

That's quite an undertaking, says someone who moved to Edinburgh 40 years ago and wouldn't live anywhere else! At least you'll still have your free bus pass for when you come back to visit! :oops:

Bon Voyage

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Where more exactly are you going to?

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There are worse places to go than North Yorkshire - even as a Lancastrian I freely acknowledge that it's a really nice place - except for Catterick which is overrun with feral squaddies and Richmond which, although beautiful with a nice castle, is largely policed by the military who are distinctly lacking in a sense of humour.

I hope that your move goes smoothly. I also hope that you're not going to one of the only two places in the county that I've just criticised!

Cheers, Jeff

Zou likes this.
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The latter mostly due to the proximity of the former.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The ink is barely dry on Sturgeon's letter and the first refugees are arriving ;)

Seriously, good luck with the move.

9. John King

John King In the Stop Bath

It are those 'squaddies' who have the full support of the vast majority of UK so you must be in the minority. Until 3 years ago I lived just south of Catterick (Bedale) and there was very little trouble from them. Far less trouble proportionately than some of the more 'feral' towns like Manchester. The garrison is clean and tidy and not a mess like some places I could mention. As for Richmond being police by the Military - have a reality check - policing is done by the North Yorks Police.

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

But wait... he might be an 'economic migrant' (cue: OUTRAGED VILIFICATION from the the Mail, Express, and UKIP. :rolleyes:)

Good luck with the move, PhotoEcosse - and don't change the name. Many of us on here are past the age at which change becomes difficult to handle. ;)

PhotoEcosse and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Well I've been an ex-pat for 30 years and in order of identification, I feel: European ( well I did, anyway !!), Scottish,
    and then, some considerable way down the list, British.

I sound as if I've just wandered down from Glasgow and talk about "home" when I mention Scotland, though, if I'm being honest, I doubt I'd ever move back.

So I'd keep the name. And good luck with the missionary work ;)

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  12. Fishboy

Woah! Steady on there! Of all the differing comments and opinions being posted around on the forum, you choose to fly off the handle over this one?

I can never remember whether 'overreact' is supposed to be hyphenated or not...

Cheers, Jeff

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. John King

John King In the Stop Bath

Not flying anywhere just putting my point. Much the same as all the others. If I feel someone has said the wrong thing whether it is malicious or not, saying what you did in print is well out of order. I recon you would not say it face to face with one of those "feral" squaddies you so happily deride. Perhaps not. It may not be in your best interests.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oooh Betty!!

Good luck and happy future for you both!

Kate

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which would actually rather prove his point, wouldn't it?

Zou, Gezza, Roger Hicks and 5 others like this.
  16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Good luck PhotoEcosse, though why anyone would want to move to England is beyond me.

S

17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Catterick sounds a positive utopia compared to other garrison towns.

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

1. Good luck with the move. Until fairly recently I had relatives in N. Yorks and visiting was always a pleasure. The drive down is rather nice too.

2. I have friends and relatives who serve/have served in various of our military forces over the years. I have the utmost respect for them, and the sacrifices that they and their families make. I still groan when I see a bunch of Matelots outside the pub.

19. Fishboy

That was kind of the point - I also have the greatest respect for the work carried out by all branches of our armed forces, however that doesn't make an afternoon in a pub in Catterick or Richmond any more pleasant when our young soldiers are out to have a good time. I won't even comment on the delights of spending an evening in the late, lamented Scorpion Club!

Cheers, Jeff

Roger Hicks likes this.
  20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

This thought went through my mind, when I read the OP. (This time, you beat me to it!)

Roger Hicks likes this.