1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tea toner and other stuff...

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by taxor, Feb 15, 2008.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

This forum hasn't had a post for a while, so it's obscure information time. Been using tea as a 'toner' for some years, but I thought I'd try it with some RC paper. Got good results with 1 teabag in a litre of boiled water. Let it brew for 5 minutes or so and then let it cool to 20c. A nice ivory tint was imparted to Ilford MGIV RC after about 3 mins. Don't overwash the prints though or you'll remove the stain.
    For those who like to mix up their own chemistry, I can recommend Ilford ID-78. A good substitute for Neutol WA. Not as warm as the Harman warmtone dev. but the working solution lasts quite a bit longer. If anyone is interested, I'll send you the formula (don't all rush at once) ;)

2. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I've used a coffee developer, but never a tea toner. Sounds interesting, but unfortunately I don't have my darkroom anymore.

3. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

:D

Is there more 'atmosphere' with Lapsang or more 'pop' with 'gunpowder'? 'Beefier' images with Oxo ... and for the 'Ahhhh!! effect - Bisto! ...

4. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Well, whatever you use, it must not be decaffeinated :D

5. Ken_Moffat

Ken_Moffat Well-Known Member

Ever tried Dylon fabric dyes to tone your prints, I used to.

Happy days.