1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taylor Wessing 2020

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by SXH, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Greedy!

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

What's your definition of 'creativity'? Because I don't agree with your statement here at all and I'm wondering if we are thinking of different things?

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I read quite a bit about creativity and imagination when studying Philosophy of the mind a few years ago.
    The two appear to be linked. I have to agree. For me creativity is spurred on by imagination. By what you 'see' in your mind as an image you want to create. If you are unable to do this, or don't naturally 'see' images or final results, then creating them will be impossible.

4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

A few years ago I briefly considered studying photography at the local art college. However, the prospectus gave me the impression that their concept of creativity was the only one acceptable and my ideas would be rejected. It's also the case that, here in Germany, a couple of art schools and professors seem to have considerable influence upon young, up and coming photographers from these art schools. Somebody wrote in an artpaper that, when he visited photo exhibitions from fresh college graduates he didn't need to read the various artist vitas. One look at their offerings told him all he needed to know about where they'd studied, who their professors were and what their ideas about creativity were etc.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

It reminded me of some of Lucien Freud's nudes that I saw at an exhibition many tears ago, and is an alternative to the young ladies who sometimes appear in AP and look like they haven't eaten a meal in months.

Catriona likes this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Think you must be right. But can you imagine how boringly predictable portraiture would be if they didn't?

Although since they are now boringly predictable as well.....

Dan S likes this.
  7. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Agree, things must keep moving forward but maybe photography has reached the same point as pop music where the new thing is just a variation of something we have already seen (heard)?

The last great innovation in portraiture was IMO the selfie - are we likely to see that again and yet it has (I think) yet to be reflected in these sort of awards or art history.

The Guardian has a link to more of Ayles Thomlinson images which are being exhibited at Hackelbury Fine Art London W8 https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...ts-from-the-lost-summer-of-2020-a-photo-essay

8. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The teenagers in the winning one all look far too cheerful for the TW competition.
    Perhaps the judges decided on a different policy this year.