1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Taylor Wessing 2020

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by SXH, Jul 30, 2020.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Far too cheerful! How about some person hooked up to every medical device imaginable drawing their last breath, with a priest there conducting the viaticum?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Kate's picture says to me that the subject is trapped in a situation that is not of their making. They are peering out into the world trying to establish contact with other people. The lines on the curtain/blind establish the uniformity under which everyone has tried to live but only covering half the subject indicates that there could be a way out

Catriona likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep must be a runner. Will be a galloping cliche, whatever happens.

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I agree with your analysis, but Kate's picture is far too good for TW's hall of gloom.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A good start but it makes some sense even to me.You need some pretentious words with uncertain meaning within that context. You might get some ideas from the latest issue of BJP. Its the annual 'Ones to Watch' issue. I'm not suggesting plagiarism. Just pick odd suitable words from many locations and insert them into your own statement.
    BTW the curtain/blind is part of a mask.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No it isn't. TW requires absolute sharpness and clarity, a degree of technical perfection which most photographers struggle to ever reach. I'm not a fan of the TW selections, but no matter how soulless, uninspiring or even depressing the winners are, they are always technically superior shots. I say always - been a couple of years since I've last seen the show and the big prints.

Kate's image is better in concept and arguably 'meaning' but it's just not on the same level. Reshoot with a 5000MP digital medium format camera, £30,000 worth of lens and the same again of lighting. :(

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Got to agree. It's the professionals who enter loads seeking fame and exposure. You've got to be someone before you enter.

Zou likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Here you go. I could write a whole lot of bollocks about this one. I was in an old derelict house this morning. Peeling paint, no wallpaper.:)

Not technically competent though.:(

[​IMG]I Can Breathe by Nigel G, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Colour might be better?

10. dream_police

Fen, Digitalmemories and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

Yes, I think the colour version has more impact. A lot of story here.

RovingMike likes this.
  12. Catriona

Nige - what do you mean not technically competent? It is. You've got a large file there to work with. I wouldn't overdo anything, but if it is possible to take any more, that would be a bonus!

13. dream_police

It was more in response to Zou’s post.

I can easily revisit but I only did it because I could, not for anything serious such as submitting it, lol.

I did actually take others in different areas of the building. This was as more of an excuse to go out than anything TBH.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

What can I say... (shakes head). Go on. Take your daughter. Have fun and put something into the comp. I would if I took stuff with a decent camera these days, but I don';t. You do have the talent. :p

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It needs to be more desaturated, especially in the red channel.

Zou and dream_police like this.
  16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, not sure about the red but a couple of buckets of water would make a difference.

17. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

They must make a good profit on this competition? £20 per photo and £1,600 prize money.

I was thinking of this one ..... ?

2020_0816_11073600 (1).jpg

SqueamishOssifrage and Catriona like this.
  18. Catriona

It might be a popular theme this year!
    Difficult to know the minds of those choosing, however, I would say a series which catches their eye could be the way to go? The more outrageous the better, be that through colour, subject or theme?
    Perhaps a Saul Leiter treatment through a car or other window? Dark days, so dark and dangerous?

Digitalmemories likes this.
  19. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Good point - a darker series may be better, though looking at the past winners it looks a bit random, and technical ability does not seem to be a factor.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

You are right, it does seem random, but I do strongly suspect the BJP philosophy for winners. It has to make them stop longer than 2 seconds to figure it out. It is more the shock factor or strangeness factor which seems to count. Mind you, that could be a portrait of Martin with his hand up a cow's fundamental! Ha!

I still think Nige's photo above @dream_police is one he should enter - as well as revisiting that site to make it a three photo series at least!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020