1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Taylor Wessing 2020

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by SXH, Jul 30, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The competition is now open for entries.

Time to find a grumpy relative or friend to photograph...

Geren and Catriona like this.
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Do they accept selfies? :D

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

@beatnik69 - this one has your lassie's name on it!

beatnik69, dream_police and Catriona like this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If you are doing something to a cow you'll sail through the selection process. I wonder how many masks we'll see this year?

5. Catriona

Good heavens. He might have shaved before that photo was taken.

dream_police likes this.
  6. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

OMG if the photo on the main page is anything to go by with the tat wallpaper and more, standards are really low

"Nodi by Dominic Sheldon, from the series New Delhi, 2019 © Dominic Sheldon"

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It depends on what you mean by standards.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Don't forget to include someone with red hair and perhaps add in an animal of some sort.

Tried entering the TW five times now, five rejections is enough for me to stop entering. Especially after seeing the winners in the years I entered.

Catriona and EightBitTony like this.
  9. Catriona

I agree Fen. It's hard to be motivated when you see who wins.
    One thing, if anyone is entering, I have a feeling that a series is looked on more kindly (more money for them) - and the artier the artist statement is the better.
    Grunge is good. Weird is good. I'm convinced the portraits will include at least one in a mask. Semi-nude would probably catch their eye too. Actually, I wonder who is going to show the exhibition this time, as I'm almost sure the National POrtrait Gallery said something last year about not doing it any more. I could be mistaken though.

How about printing superimposed on a photo collage of masks? Hmm.

Anyway, your entries should have won so they can go hmph themselves!

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Last year I reminded potential competitors of the need to also create a few hundred words of complete bollocks to accompany their entry, and I expect this advice is still relevant. In fact, could it be the more creative part of the process?

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Having been inspired(?) to think about my 'artist statement' by something on another blog, I suspect mine wouldn't be arty enough; viz: "I try to produce technically and compositionally acceptable photographs of things that interest or amuse me." :cool:
    According to the link, it will be an on-line gallery sort of thing.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Must read it properly. Thanks.

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Cheers Adrian. I might give it a go this year. Just need to decide which one to use.

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  14. Catriona

Well you have a great model.
    I'm not the best to advise, but consider putting in a few related ones with a theme perhaps. Context seems important.

beatnik69 likes this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

What the hell is wrong with my wallpaper!

16. Catriona

Nothing, I'm sure.
    Wallpaper was definitely the in thing last year. The more patterned the better.

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Been down the bookies and they are giving 2:1 on that winner this year will be a traumatised-looking care worker.

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

With or without a mask?

19. Catriona

ap lockdown mask kate back door old manse.jpg

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That's the winner