1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taxes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Why is the world going crazy with the 'news' that Trump only paid $750 tax? He literally boasted about not paying taxes 4 years ago in an election debate.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There is an election in a very few week's time.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That was the case when he made the boasts. Not sure why it seems 'harmful' now when it wasn't then.

4. Learning

Perhaps the world knows how harmful Trump can be. Last time around only the Americans and political people cared.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I agree with that sentiment but it's the same people voting as last time, not the onlooking world.

In case I've not already 'called it' I hereby publicly state that I expect Trump to be re-elected.

beatnik69 and ascu75 like this.
  6. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

didn’t he spend $70000 on his hairstylist? I’m more upset about that :p

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hourly rate $75
    One-off payment to keep straight face and tight lips $69,000

8. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Mr Trump could not even lie straight in bed!
    Another way to look at it is, if he swallowed a 6" nail he would excrete a corkscrew.

Zou likes this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

The Americans will re-elect him they believe his lies and as he said it ain’t illegal it’s “smart”

Zou likes this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Correct and fact it was published in NYT confirms to Republicans that it must be false.

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Is there not something about inflating and deflating valuations to deliberately avoid paying tax being on the illegal side of dodgy?

Graeme

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Talking of taxes, I have just received an email from the local MoF advising me that I can finally submit my tax return for 2019 into the government online system - after trying religiously and regularly since late March for the normal deadline of April 30th. The website has already gone down twice.

Last month I got the official acceptance of my return - for 2014!

ascu75 likes this.
  13. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him? Sadly the electoral college voted him in last time and not the popular vote. Clinton received around 2 million more votes than Trump last time around so I'm given to understand.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Only America could have invented the graveyard vote and the electoral college: each as undemocratic as the other. :rolleyes:

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Donald Trump or Joe Biden..... :(

I think the first debate is tonight (2am UK time). May be interesting.

16. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

At the last election a lot of high profile republican supporters rallied round Trump - I think Clint Eastwood was one. I wonder how many will want to publicly endorse him this time round. I agree, however, there is a big danger he will get in again.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Joe Biden reminds me of Brian Clough's assessment of Trevor Brooking.
    'Floats like a butterfly... Stings like one...'

Zou likes this.
  18. Learning

Careful Mark that might be construed as incitement to a crime.
    Kettle and pot come to mind. We once got a Labour government although the Tories got more votes. That came about after many inner cities were gutted. There were lots of inner city constituencies with few voters. The present boundaries are also skewed in favour of Labour.
    I guess that a lot of Democrats will vote against Trump rather than for Biden.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Quite possibly true. There are few democracies immune from gerrymandering.

20. Learning

In our case it was not gerrymandering. There had simply been a shift in population and the boundaries had not been updated.