1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro VC USD - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Darth Vader, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Active Member

Please can someone give me some advice on the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro VC USD lens for a Canon 5D mk3, thank you.

I am looking for a macro lens but only have up to £500.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’ve not used one but the Tamron and the slightly longer Sigma are supposed to be good. AP uses the sigma as a reference lens.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I have a friend who uses that lens (Sony fit) and he's impressed with it. As Pete suggested the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM is worth considering as it is also highly regarded. It is also cheaper than the Tamron if budget is a major point. The Sigma is also fully compatible with Canon's 1.4x extender.

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

5. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

How about this

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/tamron-90mm-f28-sp-di-macro-lens-canon-fit-1001403/

Or check pre owned, new is more than £500

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/buying-guides/best-macro-lenses

Really if you have a Canon then why not Canon, I had one,they are good no vr

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-ef-100mm-f28-usm-macro-lens-12862/?s=1&mkwid=sMXE0VImz_dc&pcrid=324254351732&kword=canon 100mm macro&match=e&plid=&si=PPC&gclid=CjwKCAjw9vn4BRBaEiwAh0muDJhpenTvZWZvhzvgxzXXbhzLtlsSGzw382-thXl1YHzPUT0I84MBdxoCQtUQAvD_BwE

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Just sold mine (Nikon fit). Absolutely tack sharp lens, although I did have front focusing issues with it.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Another vote for the Tamron, had mine for many years.

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I have the older version without vibration control and it is very good. It's sharp, but can hunt for focus a bit.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Tamron's pedigree goes back to the AD2 manual mount version, which I still use. It's always been a good piece of kit...

Camera Canon 5D with Tamron AD2 90mm Macro lens DSC00025.JPG

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Am I imagining things or is there a set of Nikon "rabbit ears" on that lens?

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nikon fit lens with a Canon adapter?

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Possibly, I don't think the AD2 mount was ever adapted to the EOS range but I am probably wrong on that.

14. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Both the Tamron, and the Sigma 105mm mentioned in other replies have excellent reputations.

I have the Nikkor AF-S 105mm ƒ/2.8G IF ED VR. Personally I appreciate the 105mm focal length over shorter macros, as I’m particularly keen on photographing butterflies. But your needs will depend on what you want to use it for.

One reason I chose the Nikkor over the Sigma was it’s smaller maximum aperture (f/32 compared to f/22), and I sometimes use minimum aperture on a tripod for fungi, etc, because depth of field is so limited with macro (unless you get into focus stacking). I think the Tamron also goes to f/32, and, along with its shorter focal length, it’s a little lighter to carry.

Chris

15. Andrew Flannigan

AD2 Nikon mount plus Nikon to Eos adapter. It worked well. I've now switched to a Nikon D600 and that works even better. :)

There are third party AD2 to Eos adapters but the ones I tried were completely dumb and didn't inspire me with confidence.

16. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've got one of the 'first generation' autofocus Tamron 90 mm F 2.8 lenses (circa. 1997-8) that I purchased second hand for £230 in 2011 (when I recall that new ones were £370-£380). So no image stabilisation, but capable of very sharp images if used carefully. I use it on a half-frame (APS-C) DSLR and have found that it is also excellent for 'non macro' shots too when used as a short telephoto (135 mm equivalent on my camera body, but the 90 mm on your camera body would also be good for portraits).

A new lens is about £630-£650 in the UK now, so your budget isn't big enough (some retailers still list the previous non-VC version for about £400 but out of stock). If you plan to use it mostly for macro work, will you be using a tripod? If so, you could consider looking for a secondhand older model without 'VC'. And if you don't have a tripod, the saving would provide the funds for one within your £500 budget.

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have a Tokina Canon Pro D AT-X M100/2.8 Macro. AF is slow but otherwise a fine lens. Much cheaper than the Tamron.

18. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

If I set out to take macro shots of something static, I take a tripod. But many of my macro shots are hand-held, because butterflies, etc, don’t wait for you to set up a tripod (except for real enthusiasts who look for them on cold dawns), or because I just see an attractive plant or fungus when out walking. If I forget to switch on image stabilization, my shots are rarely sharp. So if you’re likely to use your macro lens without a tripod, I’d strongly recommend getting a lens with image stabilization.

Chris

MJB likes this.
  19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've occasionally used the mother-out-law's manual focus one - lovely thing, pity about the idiot using it. Adaptall mount, which probably dates it!

20. Andrew Flannigan

Probably the same version illustrated at #9