1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5 SP aperture ring not communicating with D800

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by carleato, Jun 8, 2017.

1. carleato

carleato New Member

Hello,

I hope you can help. I have a D800 which I'm happy with but I have an issue.

I bought the Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5 SP and Adaptall ( AD2 Lens Mount for my D800. )

I applied settings on my D800 in the non cpu options 17mm 3.5f. But when rotating the aperture ring on live screen it changes the light source but the camera still indicated 3.5f. Is there a setting I'm missing to allow the lens aperture ring to communicate with the camera??

On other videos on youtube the lens and camera should communicate.

Thanks for the help.
    Carl

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There's no electronic linkage between a lens like that and a digital body. You need to set the camera to aperture priority mode, stop down the lens manually and let the camera choose the shutter speed. You could also set the camera to manual mode and set both aperture and shutter speed to suit yourself. I use my 17mm in aperture mode on my 5D and it's possible to get some very pleasing pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  3. carleato

carleato New Member

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. I just got the lens..

I can see the change through the live view when adjusting the aperture ring. So even though the display on the camera doesn't change to the aperture of the lens, are you saying it doesn't matter if the camera says 3.5 constant the picture will come out to the adjustment from the lens aperture? eg. 12 f-stop on the lens, camera indicates 3.5 the photo will come out 12 f-stop from the lens setting? Thanks Carl

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'll take a guess - this may be wrong but it won't take long to find out.

Open the lens to f3.5, set the camera to aperture priority F8 (or whatever you want). Meter and read the exposure time. Either press the exposure lock button or change to manual and set the exposure time - (you may have to set the aperture as well because it will probably remember what it was last on in Manual mode). Close the lens to F8 or whatever you chose and take the picture. Depending on your camera the exposure lock may only last a few seconds - default on Canon is 6 secs.

Reason I suggest this? Cameras meter at full aperture and then close the aperture to make the exposure. You told the camera that F3.5 was full aperture. Therefore the camera meter should get the exposure right for the chosen F number if the lens is open. Then having frozen by means of AE lock the exposure time you close the lens down quickly - just like the camera would - and take the shot.

5. Andrew Flannigan

It's much simpler. On the 5D I just set aperture mode and set the aperture ring to whatever stop I want. I always focus the 17mm by scale because the 5D's screen is too coarse for practical focussing on such a short lens. When I press the release the camera measures the scene and sets the appropriate shutter speed.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Does the metering work stopped down then? I'd have thought it needed a reference aperture.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The camera should work in aperture priority mode in the same way as Nikon lenses, assuming the AD2 adaptor is an AI type and has been correctly fitted to the lens. It will not operate correctly in any mode that needs an electronic communication between the camera and lens.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Doesn't seem to. I found it worked this way so I just carried on using it.

9. carleato

carleato New Member

I have been using the lens in manual mode (as I do most of the time) but when I see youtube videos demonstrating the old lenses (non cpu), when they turned the aperture ring it changed on the cameras interface. Please look at link. (2:18 into the video)

set to manual
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J8fFQwt7pc&t=9s
    2:18 into the video your see what I mean, where the camera shows f-stop changing.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It should act in this way in aperture priority mode, but of course it is a third-party lens. Is the AD2 adaptor an AI type? If not that will be where the issue will lie.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It doesn't need to with a Canon, it does with a Nikon.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  12. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I could be about to say something incredibly stupid here because I'm in work and can't check it out on my camera...but here goes.

With AI-S lenses on a D800 (and I'm assuming that an Adaptall operates in the same way) don't you set the lens up as a non-CPU lens, turn the aperture dial on the lens to the smallest setting and then select the aperture you want from the camera?

I'm pretty sure that's how it works...

The lens doesn't tell the camera what aperture it's set at - the camera stops the lens down to the aperture that you've set from the body.

Cheers, Jeff

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

What I do with my D7000 is mount the lens, select the relevant non-CPU setting, set the camera to either M or A modes and adjust the lens aperture via the ring on the lens as per normal with old manual focus lenses. With my camera the aperture value does change in the finder and in A mode the shutter speed adjusts automatically - the aperture value even registers correctly in the EXIF data - assuming i've selected the right lens that is...

To the OP. When using manual lenses you must be in either A or M modes and the camera must be set to the non-CPU setting for the lens. Aperture control is entirely by aperture ring. On the ring there should be a raised sort of 'L' shaped ridge that projects slightly back of the aperture ring itself. This ridge engages with the small lug that sits on a ring surrounding the cameras lens mount - the lug is at the one o'clock position as you face the camera. If the lens mount has the ridge check that it engages with the cameras lug. If it doesn't engage check that the Adaptall mount is properly mated to the lens itself. If the mount has no ridge then it's an older pre-Ai mount (though I think all Adaptall II mounts are Ai) and you'll probably be stuck with stop down metering if that's possible or by sunny 16 rule using manual mode...

14. KironKid

KironKid Member

How do you like that Tamron SP 17 lens. Sharp, in your opinion?

Thanks

15. Andrew Flannigan

It's sharp enough for me but your needs may be different. Some examples of how I use it..

Bicycle park outside Natwest Bank Cowick Street Exeter IMG_9870.JPG

Cricklepit Footbridge over the Exe D60_4330.JPG

Dinosaur statue at Strand Exmouth D60_4306.JPG

In charity shop Sidmouth IMG_0249.JPG

Iron Bridge from Lower North Street Exeter DSC00524.JPG

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The D800 does not have a mechanical coupling ring around the lens mount thus, although the camera knows the maximum aperture it has no way of knowing how far you have turned the aperture ring. The result is that it assumes the lens is wide open, f3.5, and displays that. As has already been said, you need to select the minimum aperture on the lens and then control the actual aperture using the sub-command dial (the one on the front) using the viewfinder or top plate display to see what you have selected.