1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamron Adaptall lens

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by tazio35, Feb 14, 2008.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

I've been watching a Tamron Adaptall lens on ebay. It has the wrong mount for my Pentax, so I'll need to use the Adaptall 2 mount I already have. Are the Adaptall and Adaptall 2 mounts different?

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

AFAIK Adaptall-2 mounts will fit Adaptall lenses but not vice versa. But don't take my word as gospel.

Adaptall lenses (and mounts) are about as common as unicorn droppings; many items advertised as "Adaptall" on eBay are in fact AD2.

3. tazio35

Thanks very much. :) It's really hard to tell from the pictures.

Edit: Isn't the internet amazing? I've found this:

http://adaptall-2.com/

4. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Isn't it strange that google cn be your friend, rather like RTFM?

5. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Trouble is the section on mounts is "Coming soon!"

6. tazio35

True, but you can't always trust what you find via Google...

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

So far as I know AD and AD2 mounts are not compatible in either direction. AD mounts, as has been stated are uncommon, probably because the system had a fairly short life before AD2 was introduced.

8. tazio35

There are two lenses from the same seller that I'm watching and from the pictures I think one is AD and the other is AD2. Both have Nikon mounts, which would be fine if I had a Nikon...

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Well I'm using an adaptall2 mount on an adaptall lens, no problem so far, as adaptall2 to Minolta AF are like rocking horse dung, I'm using adaptall2 > M42 plus M42>MAF, much cheaper solution than the only 2 adaptall2 >MAF I saw on ebay £59.99 and £49.99 (same seller, expect he's still got it at that price!!)

Cheers MIKE

10. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I think I am as well. The lens in question is a Tamron 200-500 mm f/6.9 zoom, built like a naval gun barrel (and nearly as heavy), no model number on it, doesn't say "Adaptall-2" anywhere either so I think it's an "original Adaptall" lens. Anyway it works just fine on my OM bodies with the usual Olympus Adaptall-2 mount. I've also used it successfully on my Canon EOS 5D, still wearing the AD2 OM mount, but with an OM lens to EOS body adapter as well. Works just fine except for the aperture control being manual only on the EOS body.

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

This site is well worth looking at for Tamron adaptall stuff, also has links to oher Tamron stuff.
    There appear to be 3 versions of 200-500/6.9 listed, some pics thereof so you may be able to identify yours.

The SP 200-500 was f5.6, probably like hens' teeth or rocking horse poo.

12. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Thanks. It's definitely one of the older "Adaptall" models, it only stops down to f/22.