1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamron 24-135 vs Canon 28-105 / 28-135 IS

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by tamos, May 29, 2002.

1. Straightarm

Straightarm Well-Known Member

My understanding is that internal focussing is something different. It is where a lens's physical length remains constant through out its focusing range.

I have owned lenses that were not internal focussing in that as you focussed on close subjects the lens's length increased, but the front element and hence the filter mount did not rotate.

2. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Nick,
    That's an in your face site isn't it. Now I'm more depressed. Oh well I hope the weathers a bit warmer tonight otherwise the old dear will freeze up that alley. Me? I'll probably be on here looking for more knocks to my self esteem.
    Mind you I'm very grateful for the honest comment and guidance.
    Diolch yn fawr (Ta, chuck, in welsh)

Quantum mechanics have very, very small tools!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I dunno Mario, that Dot's a bit of a goer as well! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=red>Epitaph for BigWill: He debauched, he drank, he died!

4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It is a bit. Most of the contributors don't have English as their first lanhuage, or are American, so it tends to be a bit pointed. Many of them are also seriously kit obsessed! But the point is, are you happy with your results? If so, then it doesn't matter, if not, start saving!

Nick BSRIPN

6. parisian

As it happens, yes I am, but as a comparative newcomer at this level I don't really have anything to compare with. So I'll shut up now and get on with taking the pictures, learn the trade and if I get complaints about quality then I will look at different kit.
    Many thanks

7. Bilko

Bilko Well-Known Member

I Recently bought an EOS30 with Canon 28-135 IS for the purpose of having a single lens / body combination for travelling. I found the IS useful while visiting castles in Bavaria, where use of flash photography in the interior of the building was forbidden. IS gave me the ability to shoot inside the building with no flash, without having to change to a faster film mid-roll. Downsides for me:
    The zoom creeps out while walking around with the camera slung over your
    neck / shoulder.

Difficult to turn polarizing filter while lens hood is on.
    [Results in finger prints on filter. However, I have hands like pit-
    shovels.]

Relatively slow lens.

It’s a rather large and heavy lens.

As always you get what you pay for. However, I’m now thinking about augmenting the lens with a light and faster 50mm f1.8 or should I save my pennies and go for the 50mm f1.4 USM. Decisions, decisions. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

<font color=blue>Never tie your shoes in a revolving door!</font color=blue> /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've (largely) abandoned lens hoods in favour of Flarebuster - no such problems with filters.

Nick BSRIPN

9. parisian

Come on then Nick, what's a flarebuster when it is at home?
    Where do we get one an how much are they?
    Hoods on zooms can only ever be a compromise so if there is something better out there I would be grateful.

10. Bilko

Bilko Well-Known Member

http://www.flarebuster.com
    Suppose you shouldn't knock it until you've tried it.

<font color=blue>Never tie your shoes in a revolving door!</font color=blue> /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

12. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I got mine from 7dayshop.com…

…or if you want it quick, Speed Graphic stock it. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

<font color=red>Is it because I's Jedi?</font color=red>

13. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

looks a bit silly! but if it works, then thats ok :)
    i wonder if it will work with a 15mm?

<font color="#0077FF">All this talk of cameras and gadgets confuses me.

14. tamos

tamos Member

Thanks for all of your comments. I've since had chance to try the 28-105 and was disappointed (particularly the distortion at 28mm). The image stabilisation feature appeals but I haven't got a long time to wait for a 24-135 IS lens (off on my travels soon). I'll think I'll have to dig deeper for the 28-135 IS and 72mm filters to accompany my Olympus Trip.

Thanks again.

15. phiggy

phiggy Well-Known Member

I would say you have made a wise choose. Let us know how you have got on with it when you get back.