1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamron 17-55mm with tiny fungus

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by mac16, Oct 19, 2020.

?

Buy?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. mac16

mac16 New Member

Hello everyone!

I am in the hunt for a cheap used 17-55mm lens for my canon and i found this tamron one for 100usd but it has a tiny fungus on it (please see photo attached).

What do you think? Is it worth a buy? Im an amateur and i dont have a ton of money to spend but im also really scared it might spread to the cam body.

Any suggestions would be great :) thank you

Attached Files:

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It looks a bit too close to the centre of the element for my taste. Damage to the edge of an element can safely be ignored but a patch like that, close to the centre, will affect the image to one extent or another.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Personally ........ I wouldn't buy a lens with fungus in it unless I possessed the skills to strip it down and clean it out (which I don't).
    You've no idea how long the fungus has been there, how much more may be inside that you cannot see, how fast it will grow, what damage it may cause etc etc.
    I'm not yet aware of any way to kill off fungus inside a lens other than by opening it up and "treating" it.

What does this say about the way that the lens was handled and treated by its former owner/user?

There is a reason why lenses with fungus inside are cheap

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a lens with fungus. It can spread to other lenses.

If it is very slight and you live in a dry sunshine state, UV can sometimes kill it off which means leaving the lens with sunlight passing through, and nothing flammable in the plane of focus. However, fungus does damage lens coatings. Whether that matters optically depends on where it is, as Andrew said.

I would have thought that the standard 18-55 Canon kit lens would easily be a match for a 17-55 Tamron, the difference in focal length isn’t significant. If you want wider than 18mm a 10-22 or 10-24 is a better choice. Start saving!

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I suggest that this is actually a faster lens than the Canon 18-55 and I can see the attraction of the wider aperture but I wouldn't let that distract from the very real issue that the fungus represents. A high does of UV will kill off the fungus that is in the light path but it won't do anything for any spores that are elsewhere in the lens. Give it a miss, there are plenty more of them about even if the price is higher.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Steer clear!

7. mac16

mac16 New Member

I guess i'll pass

Thank you all!! Very helpful :)

8. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

You did the right thing
    Fungus is terrible, not just for image degradation but the fact that swapping lenses can contaminate other unaffected lenses too, especially with dslrs due to the flapping mirror, spores can be wafted into the mirror box, thus contaminating both mirror and prism. Then the possibility of the spores contaminating other lenses when attached.

For the few pounds you save buying fungus infected optics, you’ll wish you’d not bothered.

I won’t touch anything if it’s infected. I have returned dozens of lenses over the years that I bought off eBay that were described pristine, mint only to find fungus Using a magnifying glass and shining powerful Cree flashlights straight through.