1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamron 17-50 Hunting Issues

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by DaveG40, Nov 19, 2017.

1. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

Hi All

My Tamron 17-50 F2.8 has recently returned from repair, whilst it was away I upgraded my Camera from a Sony A37 to an A68.

To my surprise focusing at the long end seems to be a problem, it hunts like mad and never finds focus if zooming at something beyond say 20 feet, objects within 10 feet or so don't seem to be a problem, similarly wide to say mid zoom is no problem at all, my other lenses are also fine.

I have tried changing af areas, and the mode (afa - afs etc), and all have the same outcome; lens going berserk trying to find focus.

Any ideas please ?.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sounds like it wasn't repaired very well, I'd discuss with the repair shop.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Are you able to try the lens on another body to find out whether the lens itself is the problem, or whether there is some compatibility matter between the lens and the newer camera? As stated above it is also possible that the repair has not been 100% successful.

4. DaveG40

Thanks for the replies.

I have contacted them twice, and have been told to return it, the common opinion, which supports my view, is that the lens is faulty, it went off for repair (loose front end, rear element artifacts and a lot of internal dust), but it handled very well, was a joy to use and the IQ was superb, the repair took just over a month and since getting it back I've been very unimpressed, it hunts like mad from 35mm onwards, (17-34 is fine), IQ doesn't seem as good, and it's lots it's feel (hard to describe, but you probably know what I mean). It's a shadow of it's former self.

Just out of curiosity, (not on a witch hunt) but has anyone had any issues with lenses that have gone off for repair, and which have come back worse ?. I assume all tests, including focusing are conducted before a lens is returned ?.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It likely depends on who repairs them as much as anything.

6. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem with the 17-50 on my A77, not finding focus at 50mm but ok at 47mm or below, intro 20/20 (importer ) fixed it FOC even though out of warranty. I would suggest giving them a call.
    john

7. DaveG40

Update; despite going off for repair and extensive cleaning the lens came back actually worse than it was before going off for repair, at 50mm the lens hunted like mad, anyway it went back and a week later returned working as it should do, nailing focus in an instant, problem resolved,but it cost £87, and took over a month in total. At least I now have a mint used lens ;-).