1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamron 150-600 Test

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by denis1710, Apr 13, 2014.

1. denis1710

denis1710 New Member

Just a slight correction, the tester stated that the tripod mount ring could not be removed on this lens. This is incorrect and of course it can be removed. It is a 3 pin bayonet mount removable from the back of the lens, not a clamp style version as used on earlier lenses.

As an owner of this lens since January I can say that this lens is superb at 600mm using f7.1 and f8 for sharpness IMHO.

Denis.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

What's the balance like using the lens tripod mount when set to 600mm?

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Took me more than a few years of ownership of Canon's 100-400 to realise the tripod mount can be removed on that, so not sure I would blame Damo for not spotting it on a lens he had had on test for a short time. Not that I would say that to his face, of course. ;)

4. denis1710

denis1710 New Member

I guess that will be dependent on the tripod head Malcolm. For a plain ball head I really haven't tried it. All my tripod heads, ball, fluid and gimbal, are fitted with the Manfrotto long plate mounts, the 357 sliding plate adaptor and 357PLV sliding plates, which make balance easier on any head. With the 150-600 and Canon 1D Mk III I use the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head when not hand held. The balance with this combination is spot on used either way.

Hope this helps.

Denis

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I too am a fan of the Manfrotto 393 head for my Canon 300 & 500 lenses, and as you say, balance is easy with that combination.

6. denis1710

denis1710 New Member

The 393 is what persuaded me to fit the 357 mount and plates to all my heads, they are the ones used on the 393. I also use the plates on my scopes and it makes it easy to swap scope for camera. With the 393 locked solid the camera is almost bang on target when swapped. With 600 though I find I don't use the scopes as much as I used to.

Denis.