1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Tacky" handgrip EOS 100

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Oldie, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Oldie

Oldie New Member

I have a Canon EOS 100, a good old workhorse of a camera, but worth nothing now that "digimania" has overtaken us.

It is still quite usable but the leather/leatherette hand grip has gone tacky and unpleasantly sticks to my fingers.
    I have tried all sorts of solvents and talc. to try to cure it.
    Has anybody any experience/tips on how to overcome?

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Its probably the glue that holds the leatherette has gone off. A while ago I had an EOS-1N with the same problem. It was gross to hold. Luckily in that case the solution was simple - just buy a new grip and bin the old one. Not an option with the 100 sadly. A repair guy might be able to fix it, but the cost might be more than the camera is worth now.

3. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

The one on mine was a bit grubby and nasty when I got it (from that well known aution site for £15 so can't grumble!)

I used Isopropyl Alcohol (sparingly) and an electric tooth bush with an old brush head which seemed to bring it up quite well. You do have to be a bit careful at the edges not to let it get under the covering too much.

I think I finished off with some Armorall which is an automotive product used for cleaning /protecting rubber and plastic components.

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I've found that lighter fluid is good at removing sticky deposits, for example labels that are really difficult to lift off without leaving gluey gunge behind.

Of course, you do need to be careful with it, and extinguish all naked flames etc! Hoever, it does evaporate very quickly. :rolleyes:

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

And the fumes are more potent than majic mushrooms!

David.

6. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I have to be honest and say that using solvents may not clear up the problem. Sometimes its a chemical reaction, as Tim said, under the actual material. Replacing the material properly is a far better option and more practicle. There are a number of places that used to deal with this stuff so you should be in good stead.

It would be a shame to use a solvent and find it discoloured the camera or made it worse.