1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Tablet.

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bill Stewardson, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

hello to all,,,

Does anyone use a Wacom Tablet ? Any recommendations?

Cheers

Bill.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I borrow my son's Wacom tablet when I want to draw freehand curves in Powerpoint but I've never succeeded in using it properly. I would guess it is a matter of practice and hand-eye coordination plus some ability to draw would help. I'd guess it would be useful in PS/LR if you do a lot of mask adjustment. I must confess I haven't looked for any user instructions just plugged it in and let windows find a driver so could be that I'm not using it correctly. It is not quite as big as A4 in the working area, I'd think the bigger the tablet the more control you have.

Bill Stewardson likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have one, it is rarely used because I find it difficult to coordinate what my hand is doing with what is happening on the screen. That and the fact that I don't use Photoshop makes the tablet rather less than useful. However, if you have a use for it, see if there is a supplier who can let you try one.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got an old Wacom Bamboo - it wasn't expensive at the time (a few years ago now), and is quite basic and fairly small. I use it primarily for masking in Photoshop, but there are times when it's quicker than the mouse just for navigating and menu selections.
    I find it useful, but not exactly essential, and I wouldn't buy a more expensive one.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've got a mint condition boxed Wacom Intuos complete with all bits, purchased after an enthusiastic AP review.
    Attempted use for a few hours only before I decided to return to mouse and keyboard, and available to a good home for a reasonable consideration.

6. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

Many thanks to all,,, now then, I’ve never used one. I find trying to cut things out with a mouse extremely annoying, actually impossible. I read a review of these items and it started me thinking,
    To be honest, I have the dexterity of a tipsy hippo.
    Chester,, please see your convo box.

Bill.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

A friend gave me one -- a BIG one, something between A3 and A2. I use it very little, not least because it's so huge. The fact that he gave it to me (and was given it himself) says quite a lot. On the other hand, there are times when it's quite significantly easier than a mouse/trackball, and another friend swore by them. Then again, he was a painter...

Cheers,

R

8. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Photoshop editing always on a Wacom precise editing it's the bizz. Yep you'll probably think it's never gonna work but when it does come to you it'll make a difference. You may well take to it like a duck to water. They can be bought secondhand at good prices. MIne is a medium Intuos 4 I'd recommend it but it is a considered purchase and it is now gathering dust as are my cameras. Photography I used to do that.