1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T2 Adapter, M42 Adapter, Whats the Difference?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Iloca, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi,

can anyone tell me what the difference is between a T2 adapter and an M42 adapter.

Thanks, Richard

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I think its a different thread size I'm sure I've got a t2 around somewhere and when I tried to put it on a m42 lens, it screwed on so far then stopped. I'd be interested to know what the t2 adapter is for

3. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi Frank,

funny you should say that, I tried a Praktica lens on an OM/T2, it screws on but not fully, would that be the only difference, a Praktica screw lens is M42 isn't it?

The reason I ask is that I was looking at a set of bellows that I wanted to fit to a Nikon D70 using the Praktica lens, just wondered if I needed a Nikon/T2 or Nikon/M42 or if either would do.

Thanks, Richard

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What exactly do you mean by "Praktica" lens? No lenses were ever actually made with that branding, although there were a few M42 lenses with the "Prakticar" brand (and an awful lot more Praktica Bayonet ones.

Anyway, the pitch of the thread is different between T2 and M42, and they should not be confused or inter-mounted.

As an aside on lenses for Pentacon-thread Prakticas, the Electric versions won't mount on all cameras, as the electrical contacts can foul the screw holes in the mount. Less of an issue with mount convertors, though, and no problem with any Praktica.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

You'd need a set of bellows with a Nikon mount at the body end and an M42 thread on the lens end. I have no idea whether such an animal exists but apparently SRB Film Services can modify bellows to suit (see page 4 of the adapter price list).

As Nick says M42/T2 use different thread pitches so are not compatible.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The T2 mount is commonly found in astrophotography where it is used to mount the camera to the telescope in place of the eyepiece. It also used to be quite popular in the days of manual focus when there were a lot of cheap, usually preset, long lenses around which used the T2 mount and adapter. I presume it gave a cost effective way of offering the lenses in various OEM mounts without actually having to make the lenses in the specified mount.

7. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Nick and Nigel,

the lens is a Pentacon screw fit, thats an M42 isn't it? you say that theres a pitch difference, that would explain why the T2 screws on a bit. I sort of wondered if they were the same but named differently but obviously not.

The bellows are Paragon so I'll need to check what fitting they are, do you have any idea? I'm guessing that they'll be M42. In any case am I right in saying that I'll need a body (Nikon)to screw M42/T2) adapter to fit the camera to the bellows and then the Pentacon lens should fit directly to the bellows, assuming they (bellows) are M42.

Thinking out loud, I need to establish the fitting of the bellows first, e.g. M42 then all I need are adapters, say Nikon Body/M42 and say M42/ Nikon F to use a Nikon body and Lens or OM/M42 and M42/OM to use an Olympus Body and Lens. (Or whatever combination)

Sorry if that sounds a bit confused, I know what I'm trying to say but can't quite put it in words :D :D

Thanks Again, Richard

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yes, the lens is an M42. To the best of my knowledge all Pentacon screw lenses are M42.

If the the bellows are threaded then I imagine they are M42, I don't recall ever coming across bellow with T2 mounts.

If the bellows are M42 then the lens will fit directly to the bellows but you will still need the relevant lens to body adapter (eg M42 to Nikon) to mount the bellows or lens to the camera. SRB's adapter list (page 4) lists M42 adapters for both body types. Both these adapters contain lenses to maintain infinity focus when the lens is mounted directly to the camera. This is because either the camera mount throat is to small to allow the adapter to fit flush and/or the mount to film distance is more or less identical for the Nikon, Olympus and M42 systems.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.....

9. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Thanks Nigel,

that all makes sense and confirms more or less what I was thinking. If I understand correctly, an adapter to fit M42 lenses to a Nikon needs an element to achive Infinity focus due to the differences in Flange to film plane, now if I was to use the adapter only to mount the camera to bellows, I'm thinking that I don't need to achive inf' focus so a plain mount would work, such as this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M42-LENS-to-Nikon-...1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think? Richard

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

For use only with bellows or extension tubes then yes a plain mount such as that is fine as the bellows or tubes have already eliminated distance focussing anyway.

:)

11. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

Well I got the bellows, turns out that it's a slide copier/bellows combined set by Paragon. The mounts on each end of the bellows are unthreaded but an adapter threaded for T2 fits in . It's a strange set-up due to the whole thing being modular. It came with a T2 adapter to suit the Nikon body, and the Pentacon (Praktica) lens screws on to the T2 thread at the other end enough to be secure, (part of the duplicator tube unscrews to use as a Macro lens)All in all it seems useable enough for the £20 odd it cost.

Thanks to all for the help/advice,

Cheers, Richard

12. whs2001

whs2001 New Member

Funny, but with all of the posts here, nobody actually answered the actual question, which requires the actual specifications. A T2 or T-mount or T-thread has a width of 42mm with a thread pitch of 0.75mm. An M42 is also 42mm, but with a 1mm thread pitch. DON'T try to intermix the two or you will likely strip the threads on one, the other or both of the things you are trying to force together.
    -- Willy with a whY?™ (aka: The Prophet Willy™)

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well it might have added very slightly to the info had you posted it at the time, but eight years later it's not a lot of help, especially as the OP hasn't been back here in over five years...

14. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

It also makes me feel old.

15. rboerdijk

rboerdijk New Member

I respectfully disagree, the information given by whs2001 is really useful. Google for "T2 vs M42" and this is the #1 hit.
    so even if the OP didn't react, many people will still find this info and can learn from it.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And you think that's worth adding two years later still? ;)

17. rboerdijk

rboerdijk New Member

I most certainly do, considering I took the effort of registering because of that :D

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Well it's nice to see Iloca's byline appearing on the list of OPs again - even if he now does inhabit other forums.