1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Volume Information

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by TonyKillay, Apr 1, 2010.

1. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

Is there any way of 'thinning out' this directory. On my main computer this directory is growing and growing and I can't even defrag it, while the defragger is reporting 77% fragmented! Or is there some setting that will automatically apply some housekeeping to the directory. Operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks for any help
    Tony

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This is from memory - I had a problem with the security package Norton 360 which (I think I remember) keeps a database of file checksums or the like in a subfolder of system volume information and I had to manually delete it. It could be that something like that is causing the folder to grow. I think I had to do something complicated in safe mode to open the folder. I would advise leaving it alone unless you have specific cause to fix something and can find precise instructions as I suspect you could render the disk useless. If disk is badly fragmented then keep running the defragmenter. I'd run a boot time disk check too. I don't have windows 7 but there is probably a disk checking function (like CHKDSK) that will start up before the operating system and fix any problems. Back up files before doing anthing.

3. Crosstalk

Crosstalk Well-Known Member

It's normally fairly easy to shrink this folder, so long as you know what it is and what Windows does with it!

Among other things, this is where Windows stores its system restore points. Armed with this info, you can open the system applet in the control panel, on the panel on the left side, select System Protection, select the disk you want to manage, presumably C:\ and click on configure. From there, you can set a maximum percentage of the disk for the restore points to use. You can also delete all restore points, which should "thin out" the folder.

I believe that turning off the file indexing service will also reclaim some space in this folder, since the indexing database is also located in that folder, but personally, I find it so useful I wouldn't bother.