1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching To Fuji

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by bobmielke, Jul 21, 2013.

1. bobmielke

bobmielke Member

I've been at this photography obsession for a very long time, 43 years. I've owned just about every style & format camera you can name, from a tiny Minox spy camera to medium format Mamiya 645 film cameras I used to shoot weddings.

My digital years only started 7 years ago when I moved to Portland, Oregon. I progressed through pocket digitals to Nikon DSLRs. I still have my beloved Nikon D7000 and 5 great lenses. I'm selling my D800 and 24-70mm F/2.8 lens to buy new gear.

I recently fell in love with the recent development in mirrorless, interchangeable cameras that utilize the larger APS-C cropped sensor. These are common on higher quality DSLRS, like my Nikon D7000. This 16.3MP wonder has great resolution coupled with good low light sensitivity.

Fuji has, in the last few years, introduced us to retro camera bodies resembling the old film rangefinder style cameras. Leica has stuck with this functional engineering for decades.

I am awaiting the funds from my camera sale to purchase a Fuji X-E1 body with three lenses, the 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 35mm F/1.4. I'm really looking forward to their sharp output and low light performance. For the time being I'll keep my D7000 and NEX camera kits as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Did I read correct, you are selling the D800? :confused:

Can I ask why?

3. bobmielke

bobmielke Member

no you may not - i don't need to explain myself to anyone

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Ooooh! Is that a dig at AP over the 'thornrider event'? ;):eek:

Moving on, this Thread ties in fairly neatly with Roger Hicks' current one on Buying & Selling Cameras.

On the switch to Fuji, I can understand that as I'm encountering it quite a bit around camera clubs on this side of the Atlantic. These things go in cycles, however, and the trend to Fuji, (esp. the compact, fixed zoom, viewfinder ones) has followed previous moves into Panasonic's G series which followed, in turn, a trend to switch from DSLRs to Canon G series.

As we age and develop as photographers, gear that we used to use may no longer be as relevant and suitable.

5. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

then why post on a forum if you don't want to explain your thoughts

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

True - but there's no need to be quite so snappy about a polite question either.

Remember your thoughts on what advantages you feel the Fuji offers over the D800 may help someone else to make a decision about how to spend their money.

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I like the cut of Bob's jib. Don't go Bob, you're much needed here

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Because if you read some of the other threads in which bobm. has posted, you could work out his reasoning from there

9. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I've since seen some of them - clearly he's better starting his own forum so only he can post and comment on how great his photos are.....silly little man

10. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

"Awesome shot Bob. I really like what you've done with that."

"Thanks Bob!"

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

at a guess reading his post to buy his Fuji and lenses...not being a Nikon fan or having much of a clue about the new Fuji compact stylee cameras I don't know if he'll turn a profit...(or even turn into a prophet)

12. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I am a D800 user, and I must confess, I was nearly taken in by the fuji ads, but last week I read it somewhere that the fuji's were great for street photography! But when it came to landscapes and portraiture they was not so clever, whether this is true or not I do not know so perhaps we could get a few comments on here from fuji owners....to clear this up!

13. 0lybacker

May be a bit dangerous to resurrect an old Thread that was a bit dodgy from the outset but to answer your question I have encountered several photographers around clubs in the last year or so who have been excited by and switched - even giving up their DSLRs - to various Fuji cameras, fixed or interchangeable lens. When the X-10 fell in price it seemd to provoke some buying. They will obviously be using these Fujis for a wide variety of subject matter.

It was a case of 'deja vu' as I'd encountered similar previous 'switching' to Canon and Panasonic G series cameras. It seems to go in waves or epidemics, in a small way. :)

14. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

15. frangipani

frangipani New Member

Fuji cameras up to this date ( I have the X-Pro) work well for all photography bar sports & whizzing bird type shots etc. Mainly because there are not the lenses available, and it's not 10FPS with amazing autofocus. Having said that, the autofocus is quite sufficient, and it is 6FPS. The camera is great, the lenses great too, but the new Zeiss do add more in the way of quality so I have heard. What I like about the Fuji is that it is compact, has great ISO, is easier to use than my 7D. And although I must say that some of the shots taken with my 7D L lenses look better, that's only for certain types of shots. In more ways I have walked about shooting happily away with the Fuji and never been disappointed. Night shots are infinitely better with the Fuji, and to get the same with Canon, I would need a 5D Mk3 with a 1.4 24mm totalling £3-4k. As opposed to the £1000 I paid for the Fuji with 2 lenses thrown in.( It was 2nd hand sold by someone again with more money than sense wishing for the magic wand of cameras that would do all the work for them). As for a fad, I can't justify the huge costs of the Canon-Nikon ( or for that matter ludicrously expensive Leica) equipment. Like many out there, I think this investment cost me the total amount of 1 decent canon lens, or a 5th of an M9 body only. And I enjoy using it, and don't worry about having the equivalent of 2lbs of sugar around my neck. Bears thinking about eh? :)

16. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Revisited this thread because I recently got my hands on the X-Pro 1. I'd been wanting one for a while but it took the recent huge discounts to get me to buy. So far I really, really like it. Great controls simple, intuitive mode selection, stunning IQ and all in a tiny package.

I've talked to a fair number of portrait and wedding togs who are switching to fuji for at least some of their work. This fellow here

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/comment/58603 http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/comment/58603

has been using one for a while. I really like what he does and if it's good enough for him ...

17. 0lybacker

I find it slightly bizarre that in an industry notorious for doing 'me too' products that no other major manufacturer has sought to get into the 'Rangefinder-M' sector.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Cosina, who made M-mount lenses. Fujifilm, who made rangefinder lenses. Can't see Nikon reviving the S-series or Canon their screw mount series. Too much to lose from their DSLR sales.

19. 0lybacker

Er, actually Nikon did revive the S3 but, IIRC, have only just sold the last of the short run. That's about ten years after they were first available.

I was refering to Willie's acquisition of a digital Fuji r/f with interchangeable lenses. My obsession with Olympus producing a digital Trip 35 as part of the Pen range must surely be well know by now. I cannot think of any maker apart from Fuji who is after some of the cash that Leica currently attracts, yet as Willie points out, pros are switching to use this sort of camera for some (perhaps all) their work. Do you really think not making a camera protects one maker's sales of the camera he does make?

On that reasoning, the range lists for each manufacturer would be quite short! Brochure for the whole range on sheet of A5, folded along the long side ...

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, of course they don't - I never could understand what made people suggest that. What they won't do, though, is to go into areas they think will be unprofitable.

Anyway, surely most manufacturers actually ARE producing such cameras, in the shape of CSCs? The Fuji's no more a digital rangefinder than my Pen, or EOS M (which I actually consider as my digital CL, FWIW). The only thing that marks the Fujis out in that respect is styling, not function, notwithstanding the X-Pro's excellent hybrid viewfinder. But certainly I wouldn't class the Pens, Nexs and so on as conceptually or operationally any different to the Fujis.

And I still don't understand the Trip thing - that was basically a point and shoot with an average lens - the one thing it did have was good marketing.