1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension of Parliament Illegal: Comments on BBC website!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CollieSlave, Sep 11, 2019.

1. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

As an aside, the Supreme Court is an interesting place to visit.

I wandered in there a few years ago, although the case being discussed (something to do with Insurance) was fairly dry, it was a strangely satisfying feeling, knowing I could just wander into the highest court in the land and listen to deliberations.

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That must be just about the least difficult question of our times. :mad:

3. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

If people want they can watch the deliberations on this brexit case through a live stream on the Supreme Court website, it all kicks off at 10:30 on Tuesday

Catriona likes this.
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I wasn't being entirely serious....nice thought that Boris comes back to a post it note of changes though.:D

EightBitTony and peterba like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh, I am trying very hard not to be doubtful about their impartiality, but it's hard to see this other than a guaranteed outcome for the Government. Where that leaves us is still in the mire. I see no point in making an issue out of the Yellowhammer report either. A worst case scenario? Not according to some experts. It will be propounded by the Government as unlikely to happen - like a hard border in Ireland.

6. peterba

I suspect that the 'Old Boy network' will be very active, over the next few days. :(

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My god, so cynical. ;)

peterba and Catriona like this.
  8. Catriona

Yes and no. As I'm sure you will agree, intention is a hard thing to pin down without hard evidence (such as emails expressing the desire to do so because it will stymie discussion in Parliament or scrutiny of reports etc). Without hard copy or real proof that discussions took place to shut down Parliament for underhand reasons, then all the judges can do is use their own judgement and what is the 'truth'.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thing is, there was such evidence - an email. And that's why no minister or civil servant would state in writing that the prorogation was for the purpose of preparing for a new session.

10. Catriona

Indeed, I heard there was an email. Can that be verified though? Can it be shown in evidence in Court?

11. peterba

Guilty, as charged. :)

saxacat and dream_police like this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Sad, I know, but now that I am a free man, we are going to London to March again next month and are considering buying t shirts and there are lots available. Do we go for “bollocks to Brexit”, “feck Boris” or one with his face on the front with the words “Gobshite”? Or just act my age and wear normal clothing? :)

Of course the shirt doesn’t say feck, that is is the swear filter thing.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be. The Scottish ruling was basically, "given the Government refused to submit a witness statement explaining how the process was was followed, we think you're tacitly admitting it wasn't done properly".

Trannifan, Catriona and peterba like this.
  14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Can you get shirts with this on it?

15. peterba

Nah... that's never a good idea.;)

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

As I said elsewhere, it's like a bully not being picked for the team (losing their first six votes) and also being told they can't take the ball home, and it's not their ball anyway (no election, proroguing illegal).

daft_biker and peterba like this.
  17. Catriona

Brainless Boris
    The population of the UK is 66 million people, not 17million so remember that when you call for an election.

Or just
    Bollocks to Boris and Brexit.

peterba and Trannifan like this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

And I see you can hire it for weddings and parties.

19. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

Which seems to have been 'overlooked' by all of the political news correspondents on the major TV channels!

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

But of course it is ignored. It doesn't suit them to acknowledge it.
    I am not surprised.