1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survey

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Catriona, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

When any survey asks for "household income", I always tick the lowest amount, because this usually stops any subsequent phone calls trying to sell you something they don't think you can afford.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Roy,

An interesting approach. Between your four and twopence ha'penny a week and my £250,000+ a year -- both absolutely honest and accurate, of course -- maybe they get a reasonable average...

Most of the nuisance 'phone calls I get are from people in India assuring me that they are from Microsoft. I began to suspect that they might have been using me for training purposes in dealing with (shall we say) forthright responses. Now I just hang up without saying anything and I get far fewer calls.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

After a long period of getting few nuisance calls (we have TPS) gradually they have increased over the last month to as many as 6 a day. I reconnected the auto-answering system a few days ago and now the calls are tapering off again.

4. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I have a facility on my house phone to bar any calls I don't like, (I also have caller display), and this has been most effective. The only ones it does not work on are the "caller left no number" calls, which show up as "Private Caller" on my display; so I never answer " Private Caller" calls at all. I'll beat the b******s eventually.

I also started getting nuisance calls on my mobile, so I changed the number and now only give it to people I can trust. I no longer give any website my mobile number and only give my house phone number if I cannot proceed without giving it, or I sometimes put "00000000000".

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I am sure that the AP has no intention or desire to increase our flow of nuisance calls or irritating emails.

However whenever we make such details available on surveys or the like, they soon escape into the wild.

It seems even when they are passed on perfectly legitimately, complete with the necessary safeguards, someone down the line can not resit the temptation to sell them on.

This is Usual
    This is to be expected
    This is inevitable.
    This is certain.

If you want a quiet life keep these things to yourself.

6. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

If you look at the small print at the end of the survey you'll see two tick boxes enabling you to opt out from your details being passed to third parties, or from being contacted by AP (Actually not AP itself but some unknown marketing person from elsewhere in the empire). If you tick these it should guarantee that this won't happen.